Nobby Nic or Fire xc?

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I want to get some tyres to use all year in all conditions on the wifes bike. They won't do the mileage to make it worth buying more expensive tyres so I have narrowed it down to these.

Nobby Nic Performance (folding 2.1") http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=63916

Panaracer Fire XC ASB http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=54055

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fire XC's.....

Very good across a wide range of conditions and faster rolling than the Nic's. I use mine at Cannock and they also cope very well with local conditions I ride in, although I swap the rear to a narrow Fire Mud when it gets really muddy.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And for balance I'd have the Nics every time, very underwhelmed by the Fire XCs, they're also pretty heavy, although I'm not sure what the ORC Nics weigh.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Merlin are doing a great deal on Fire XC Pro, 2 folding tyres with tubes £44

Good for most conditions around the UK but with all tyres there is some compromise.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... -OFFER.htm
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    Fire XC Pro work for me at the moment. They do have a fairly small carcass though, not a problem if you're 10 stone (like me!). Grip well, nice feedback. I find the front comes loose if I hammer into a berm, but it's an easily controllable slide and they don't just let go. The rear does fill with mud in the worst of it, but it soon clears. The front doesn't seem to do this, probably due to reversing the tread pattern on the rear.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • I read some reviews on the nobby nics that said the tyre walls are very thin, and prone to getting torn by rocks and tree roots.
    2011 Whyte 905
    1990s Orange Clockwork
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    I notice the fire xc tyres come with different colour side walls,
    do the colours mean anything in terms of compound or are they just coloured for no other reason apart from looking good
  • just to look good. but they look awful IMO.

i had some of these for my winter tyres couple of years ago. only the cheapo wire beads jobs, about 15 quid from wiggle me thinks, but they were slow and not very grippy in the turns. not impressed at all.

come up small aswell. 2.1 was more like 1.9
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    so would the maxxis high roller be a much better option
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maxxis ignitors - good general XC tyres.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools