Can I plot routes on Garmin Connect?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
I'm not sure what the point of the site is - can I use it like Bike Route Toaster etc?

I have an Edge 705 and I'm looking for a reliable site to use

Thanks

Tom

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,631
    Dunno, but ridewithgps is very good, seems to be foolproof, and you can download the gpx files for your Garmin.
  • yep you can its what i use and i havnt had problems with it so far plus its really easy to link your garmin with it so you can up load all the ride data to that, although ive just discovered strava and its awesome
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Assuming you have an account set up and are logged in just click on "courses" and then "create course". Then click on "upload" when you're done (with your garmin device connected to your puter).
  • rodgers73
    I don't have my Edge connected at the moment - does this mean I cant see "courses" anywhere? I'm not seeing it on the screen.

Assuming I don't need to be connected to see it, where do I find that tab?
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    There's an issue with Garmin 500's and the course route disappearing and reappearing off the screen while you're trying to follow it. I've had this problem with bikeroutetoaster routes (though it is an excellent website). I've had better luck using Garmin connect to make the routes.
  • rodgers73
    Excellent! I've had exactly this problem with BRT
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    Connect is very very poor for plotting routes. It will try to send you the wrong way up one way streets etc. I'm not talking about some little backwater, they are wrong in Birmingham, even the data for A456 which is a main arterial route is wrong. Garmin do have the correct data, because the Nuvi for the car has one way systems, dual carriageways etc correct, but for some reason Garmin have decided to use different (and therefore wrong) data for mapping in connect.

Also have issues with BRT, if I can get the course to the device it works very well, but approx 75% of the time the course will not save in BRT and I have to start again. So keen to hear suggestion's where one can plot a route that reflects the actual road system, download to the Edge, and get turn by turn instructions.
  • Has anyone managed to add waypoints (with the turn left, bear right, etc commands) in Garmin Connect routes? I've only managed to add them if I use bikehike.co.uk
    Neil Pryde Bura SL
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • rodgers73 wrote:
    I don't have my Edge connected at the moment - does this mean I cant see "courses" anywhere? I'm not seeing it on the screen.

Assuming I don't need to be connected to see it, where do I find that tab?

You don't need your edge connected. Log in with your username and password then under MyConnect tab, select the Courses option and then on the right hand side above the map there's a green plus for "Create Course".
    Neil Pryde Bura SL
    Cannondale CAAD8