New wheels and existing cassette.

toastedone
toastedone Posts: 838
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I just bought some new wheels, Mavic XM719's with hope pro evo hubs, will i be able to fit my existing cassette to the new rear wheel? I know this may be a dumb question but i have not got a clue.

TIA

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes, but wether you should or not depends on what the cassette is.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • It is a 10 speed SLX
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    I think Nick is referring to the condition of the used cassette and weather its practical fitting a used item.

How much use has it had?
  • About 800 miles
  • nicklouse
    mar_k wrote:
    I think Nick is referring to the condition of the used cassette and weather its practical fitting a used item.

How much use has it had?
    Nope just if it will be eating the alloy freehub up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    ah I see, Sorry
  • So will my cassette eat the alloy freehub up?
  • nicklouse
    Are the rings on a spider?
  • It is this cassette

52312.jpg
  • nicklouse
    And does it use an alloy spider/ carrier?
  • This is the info on the on one site for it

"The 3 largest sprockets are mounted on a lightweight alloy carrier to reduce weight and increase rigidity. Hyperglide sprockets have a computer designed tooth configuration with contoured shift gates, resulting in a crisp smooth shift even under load. Close ratio gearing allows a more efficient use of energy through finer cadence control. Sprockets are cut away and drilled to reduce weight without reducing rigidity."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If only the 3 largest sprockets are mounted on a spider, the rest (aprt from the smallest 2 or 3) will chew into your alloy freehub, you need an XT cassette or SRAM equivalent.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the advice, so can i run an XT cassette with the rest of my SLX set up?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes.......read the FAQ!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.