Which Rotor

wolfman310
wolfman310 Posts: 17
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello again,

I have just bought the M666 Shimano SLX brakes as they seem to get some good reviews and i am hoping will be trouble free compared to the Elixir 5's that are on currently. (though when working were good)

What Rotors would people buy to pair with the M666 brakes? I think due to the hub it will have to have the 6 bolt design with relevant post adapter which rules out the ice tec rotors with centre spline?

My bike has currently got Avid Elixir 5 brakes with Avid 185mm g3cs rotors with 185mm post mount adapter. I have tried to use the curent rotors with the new brakes and the fitting seems a pain so thought i would change the rotors too, unless i can keep the rotors but with a different mount? i may be doing something wrong

I ended up getting tired with my Avid Elixir 5's on my Trek Fuel Ex8. I got to Cannock and the front brake was a no go, even though a few hours earlier it was ok at home so bought the new brakes from Merlin (Being in the back of the car kept screwing them up)

Thanks for your help again.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Any.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • why is the fitting a pain?? are you trying to mount the shimano slx brakes on to avid elixir mount adaptors??? Also are you trying to mount the slx brakes using the conical washers?
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH if you do the same as you have been doing you will have the same issues.

The new ones will fit directly on the existing adaptors and rotors.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I was trying to use the avid post mount adapter and the conical washers.

I didn't buy a shimano post adapter as I thought that would be set up for 180 or 203 sizing when mine are 185.

I will buy some XT rotors for them with the relevant front and rear adapter.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Why is the bike being in the back of the car screwing them up?
  • To get where we are going they get transported in the back of the car, is generally only 45 minutes or so.

Never had a problem with other brakes, giant mph, some juicys, though my friend has elixir 5's and they don't have the same problems.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    But what problem is it causing?? Are you trapping the front brake lever or something?
  • You pull the lever and it gets to the handle bars but has no bite or very little bite, where as when bled you have good bite at half way to the handle bars.

I thought it was how I was bleeding them but got a few shops to do them and same result. They arent the easiest to bleed either. Reading about the shimanos they seem less hassle and easier to bleed.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    You should not use the conical washers when installing shimano brakes to the mounts. The rear should not make any problems when fitting, but the front may not be compatible with the avid adapter, so you should use shimano 180 adapter + 2.5mm washers under the caliper, or change the rotor. But try fitting it without the conical washers + avid adapter first!
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Thanks, will go and try it now.

Thanks again.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If transporting the bike in the car is causing problems it sounds like the levers are getting knocked without the wheel in place. This pushes the pads together and the thing needs resetting.

Simply push the pads apart, fit the wheel, pump the brake lever a few times and it should reset. However the cheaper Avids are really crap at doing this, but I found it was Juicy that struggled. Got X0 now which are basically Elixir stuff, and they reset perfectly.

You can use brake pad spacers when transporting the bike to stop it happening, or just be careful the lever isn't likely to get knocked.

P.S. If you need to spread the pads, Superstar do a nice handy tool for the job. A flat bladed screwdriver does it too but theirs doesn't dig into the pads and you get Haribo when you order it too :D
  • Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the reply.

The bike always gets transported with the red brake chocs, the first few times pumping the brake helps but it then gets progressively worse till they lose all resistance. Then they get bled and they are fine till next time. It is really odd as my friend has the fuel ex8 too and we have them both in the back of the same car, do nothing different and has no problems

Only had the bike circa 6 months, and at £2300 expected better i guess.

I have bought some cheap 180mm shimano rotors this evening and will pick up the shimano spacers and then sell off the elixirs fully bled, with rotors, adapters, bleed kit and the chocs. I got some shimano 160mm rotors brand new from the kit from Merlin i will get rid of too so i don't take too much of a financial hit.