How to stop camelback tube freezing.

Sy Hollinshead
Sy Hollinshead Posts: 24
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Does anybody have any experience with this? Been out a few evenings this week, and also yesterday morning, and the tube from my camelback keeps on freezing up. It doesn't freeze inside the rucksack, just the bit that is exposed. I tried drinking every 5 minutes or so and it still froze after about half an hour....!!!
I was thinking about some sort of pipe lagging, but not sure if it is flexible enough....?
Anybody else having similar problems....?
2011 Whyte 905
1990s Orange Clockwork

Comments

• StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    edited February 2012
    Maybe an old innertube wrapped around some bubble wrap to insulate it?

Never had the problem though, i am in the sunny south!
  • You can buy Insulated tubes to stop them freezing up, not overly cheap though.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/camelbak-antido ... ated-tube/
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    yep... used my camel back on -32 snowboarding trips..

U can get a neoprene cover, but in all honesty they do nothing...

Just wear it under your jacket...

This also helps with air circulation, as if you have under arm vents, they are now free to do their job properly...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • blow the liquid back in the reservoir after you've had a drink. also stops it getting warm in summer
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Yup, on night rides in the winter this happens to us too :?

I haven't found a clever solution i'm afraid, although I find stopping at a friendly pub for a drink a pretty good fix :wink:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Blowing it back into the bag sounds like a plan. Will try it later and see what happens.
    2011 Whyte 905
    1990s Orange Clockwork
  • Had this happen yesterday, I just twisted and bent the tube to break the ice. It worked but I felt doing this a lot could damage the tube.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Mixing in an energy powder lowers the freezing point slightly. Blowing back in to the reservoir also helps
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye, just blow it back, works a charm.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Regular sips + energy powder stops it freezing. But this blowing it back sounds like it might work. I have a neoprene cover came with some spare tubes I got in the millets dump basket for 2 quid
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    +1 on the blow back.

Learnt that when skiing and friends advised me the same. Works perfectly. If I forgot, just shove my end (oo-er!) inside my jacket for a bit, and soon defrosted.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    blow back with regular sucking works for me*...

Stops the water in my camelbak from freezing as well...arf arf

*Until I forget...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ahem, you will find that adding a little Vodka (yes, really) will stop it freezing. You don't need much and it is obviously not advisable to go mad with it. I had this problem two winters ago and my LBS gave me the tip. Works a treat, never had a problem since. I do not know who came up with the answer or how long it took but would like to get involved with that think tank!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    And Vodka chilled below zero is way better anyway.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    My water bottles, rear mech and freehub all froze at Lee Quarry yesterday. I'm just not going out in -4.5 degree temperatures again. Or taking a flask.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Blow back.
    I bought a tube with neoprene cover and bite valve cover and.......it didn't work :lol:
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Another vote for the blow back. Also stops that first mouthful giving you brain freeze.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Ahem, you will find that adding a little Vodka (yes, really) will stop it freezing. You don't need much and it is obviously not advisable to go mad with it. I had this problem two winters ago and my LBS gave me the tip. Works a treat, never had a problem since. I do not know who came up with the answer or how long it took but would like to get involved with that think tank!
    I want to come out on a ride with you lot. That is the best answer.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Camelback bladder is army surplus, and the tube has insulation on it as stnd.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Markmjh
    Markmjh Posts: 415
    Ahem, you will find that adding a little Vodka (yes, really) will stop it freezing. You don't need much and it is obviously not advisable to go mad with it. I had this problem two winters ago and my LBS gave me the tip. Works a treat, never had a problem since. I do not know who came up with the answer or how long it took but would like to get involved with that think tank!

Been filling mine with Vodka for festivals for a few years now! lol
    Ride Crash Ride Again
  • Had this issue and by far simplest solution is to blow the water back into the bladder.

Although the vodka idea sounds good to me too . . . .
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Had this issue and by far simplest solution is to blow the water back into the bladder.

Although the vodka idea sounds good to me too . . . .
    That reminds me of the student days.

Camelback full of Vodke red bull. Party.party.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Although we haven't had a big freeze that matches the previous year, I did get to try out my Lezyne Neoprene cover (currently just over £8 from various on-line stores) this past winter and on some days when it was around -4, I had no problems whatsoever, happy with the purchase.