New to road bikes

chrisashtonm5000
chrisashtonm5000 Posts: 5
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Hi I'm looking to get a road bike I'm sure you've had lots of people ask the same question! I have £700 to spend been looking at the below.

Specialized Allez Sport Compact 2012 Road Bike £650 at Evans Cycles.

Can I get the thumbs up before I buy it please.

Thanks guys.

Chris

Comments

• BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    Chris, If you have tried it for size and it fits,and thats the one you like,then go for it Specialized make great bikes, I have two, an Allez as my winter ride and a Tarmac SL4 Pro for the summer. Buy it and enjoy. Now you may get others come along and recommend others, but after making sure it fits,then next important thing is you liking it,you will have to live with it,and if you dont love it you wont ride it
    Regards
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    As above, try for size.
    You might find the frame comfy but then realise you don't like the feel of the Shimano/SRAM/Campag shifters
  • Thanks for your advice. Will keep you posted on how I get on.

Chris
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Edit, got it wrong.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I'm a 40+ yo and is interested in venturing to road bikes for fitness. Any advice on what type of bike to buy for a newbie like me?

I am 40 in 3 weeks and came back to bikes 2 weeks ago after over 10 years doing nothing.

My advice would be AN ELECTRIC 1 these things with pedals are blummin hard work :D
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • IM2011 DIRECT , I would take a trip round a few bike shops if possible , ask for something comfortable ie spotrive style , take a few different brands for a ride , see which feels the most comfortable then balance it against which is the one you would happily look at as well as ride - spend money - ride bike - enjoy (the most important bit)

good luck !!
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • I went for the Cannondale CAAD8 5 105 2012! pick it up on Monday! Will let you know how I get on.

Chris
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    Have to agree, visit a couple of shops. This was my plan, but fell for the pretty bike and sales chat in the first shop. I now have in mine and a LBS opinion a bike probably 1 size to small. It will have to do for a while and the LBS have done a great job of making it fit as best they can. If you a wondering why i did not take it back, i hardly used it for a couple of years after buying it, but im now out there as often as life allows. Good luck and enjoy.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • I went for the Cannondale CAAD8 5 105 2012! pick it up on Monday! Will let you know how I get on.

Chris

Nice!
    Blew the budget then? Now for all the extras...
  • I know over budget! But it's such a lovely bike and the shop I went to sold it to me really! Yep need to spend money on all the clobber now! Will post some pics when I pick it up.