Continental Baron

davewalsh
davewalsh Posts: 587
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm considering putting a 2.3 Baron on the front of the Blue Pig and have a couple of questions for anyone out there who has used them:
How do they size up compared to a 2.25 Maxxis Ardent ? I'm looking for something of a simalar volume as that's my tyre of choice for the rear.
Is the Non-UST version ok to run Tubeless with Stans Sealant on a Flow rim ?
Cheers,
Dave.

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I bought some 2.3 barons a couple of weeks ago.
    Compared to my spesh purgatory 2.2, which measures exactly that, they were slightly smaller.
    I was hoping they'd be bigger, they looked tiny against mine, especially the clutch 2.3, so I took them back.
  • Not looking good for the Baron, I've also read that they are difficult to seal and prone to burping. Looks like a HR2 on the front then, Cheers Dodge !
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Another thing I should have mentioned, it was an absolute b1tch to get off the rim, I was getting to thinking I was going to have to saw the thing off.. Certainly wouldn't want one on and have a puncture on anything but a sunny day. Obviously not as much an issue with tubeless, but still very difficult to get on / off.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My baron needed a couple of little patches before it'd seal up- some holes that wouldn't stop up with sealant. It fizzed for a while through lots of little holes but they did seal OK. Other'n that, no complaints- it measures just a hair under 2.25 on my DT 540 (official Tyre Measuring Rim) so ought to be much the same on a Flow. It also came in under the claimed weight, which was nice.

Good tyres... Much like a swampthing supertacky, except not as draggy, and miles better on hard surfaces. Not quite as good in really slimy mulchy mud, though. (I think the relatively large size, for a mud tyre, hurts it there as it doesn't really seem to have the "cut" that a skinny mud has).
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Would you recommend another Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili to match or another tyre either front or back, for all year all round use?

What tyre is best to pair with Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili?
    Thanks!
    LRRs
  • davewalsh wrote:
    I'm considering putting a 2.3 Baron on the front of the Blue Pig and have a couple of questions for anyone out there who has used them:
    How do they size up?
    Dave.

Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili 3ply 180tpi folding tyre. Running on the front with an inner tube at 38psi.
    The Baron is classed as a light mud and U.K. winter tyre, so perfect for British summers.
    The Baron has good height and volume, and weighs in at 765grams. It appears to be accurate, measuring 2.3 inches wide at 38psi.
    A very good tyre! :)
    LRRs