What paint for fox forks crown?

steve9uk
steve9uk Posts: 128
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My crown on my fox forks have paint chipped off and are looking unsightly.
I would like to paint the but i don't know if there is a special type of paint you use on them?
I don't know if anyone has any ideas on this.
The forks are white.

Thank you.

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Car touch up pen.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • steve9uk
    I was thinking on those sort of lines. I'm going to rub them down where the flaking has started but was going to try and spray paint the crown??? Thanks 1Mancity2
  • qooqiiu
    qooqiiu Posts: 212
    Could be very difficult to get anywhere like a good finish touching it up.

Why not use some carbon tape or something?
  • steve9uk
    Thanks for you reply qooqiiu. Can i ask you how you would use this tape as i've never herd of carbon tape and what you would do with it?
    Thanks
    Steve
  • the best answer is probably to rattle can them with a deep gloss black and then several coats of lacquer, gives a good finish if each layer is very gently rubbed down with fine sandpaper. Alternatively, for carbon tape, this is a vinyl sticker that can be applied directly over a painted surface and with use of a hairdrier or heat gun can be fromed to fit the contours of an object. Only downside is cutting the stuff really but aslong as you dont want a perfect finish it should look good!
    The Frog: Lapierre Zesty 214 2010 - Upgraded - W.I.P
  • qooqiiu
    qooqiiu Posts: 212
    steve9uk wrote:
    Thanks for you reply qooqiiu. Can i ask you how you would use this tape as i've never herd of carbon tape and what you would do with it?
    Thanks
    Steve

Well it depends on what sort of finish you are after. Just touching it up will never stand close scrutiny. You will never get a perfect paint match. You would need to sand back and do the whole area. To do a really good job you'd need to dismantle the fork and then tape the lower up to prevent over-run. The quicker option would be to buy some carbon effect tape (self adhesive) . It would offer some protection from cable rub as well. It would be tricky to trim accurately but if done well would look pretty good.
  • steve9uk
    Thanks Guys some great advice. I'll look into that. Much appreciated.