WH-S501 - What wheel

Bike-Rich
Bike-Rich Posts: 275
edited February 2012 in MTB general
Hi all,

I'd be grateful if anyone can find out what wheel shimano use on a WH-S501 setup.
WH-S501 refers to the wheel and internal gear system but I cannot find out which wheel they use. Any one know?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Bike-Rich wrote:
    Hi all,

I'd be grateful if anyone can find out what wheel shimano use on a WH-S501 setup.
    WH-S501 refers to the wheel and internal gear system but I cannot find out which wheel they use. Any one know?
    It is a WH-S501 wheel.

Or are you asking what rim do they use?

But there are more than one version of this wheel.

Is it a WH-S501-3D or 8D or the WH-S501-V-3D or 8D

But in both cases some shimano rim.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hasn't this been discussed already?
    viewtopic.php?t=12828968
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks guys :)

cooldad wrote:
    Hasn't this been discussed already?
    viewtopic.php?t=12828968

Yes it has and I have sorted out a compatible wheel. I just thought I might one day come across a matching front wheel so wanted to make a note of the type in case I do.
    Whenever I search for 'WH-S501' i get a lot of results of the actual gear hub part rather then the wheel and never seen a 'wh-s501' rim/wheel for sale.
    nicklouse wrote:
    But in both cases some shimano rim.

But do you know what the code is for this rim?

Many thanks.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The part number for a black 8D rim is WHRIM2CDBC, £49.99, available through any shop with a Madison account.
  • Many thanks :)

Do you know what the different 'd's' stand for?

Also, whilst on topic could you answer this please;

Is 700c the standard for road/hybrid tires? Are they always 29"?
    Is the thickness of a 700c always the same? If so, I presume you would pick tires accordingly to how thick you require? Is there a thickness limit for 700c?

Kind regards,
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Number of speeds perhaps, dunno, don't get involved in hub gears!

700c/29" are the same diamter yes, 622mm ETRTO. Don't know what you mean by thickness? There are different rim widths, whilst a 29x2.3" MTB tyre will notionally fit a 700c carbon road rim you'd not want to do it.

If you've got a 17mm wide rim I'd not go above 38c or so.
  • njee20 wrote:

700c/29" are the same diamter yes, 622mm ETRTO. Don't know what you mean by thickness? There are different rim widths, whilst a 29x2.3" MTB tyre will notionally fit a 700c carbon road rim you'd not want to do it.

29" = 736mm though not 622mm?

So there is not a standard rim width (the channel where inner goes) for 700c?
  • nicklouse
    Bike-Rich wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

29" = 736mm though not 622mm?

So there is not a standard rim width (the channel where inner goes) for 700c?

29" has nothing to do with the rim size, all 700c rims have the same ERD.

just like a 26" rim is not 26" .
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Can you expand on that please. How can a 26" wheel not be 26"?

I'd like to understand but I cannot get my head around it.
  • nicklouse
    Because it is not. 26" is a nominal size for a 26" rim with a nominal tyre fitted.

Same as a 29er is the nominal OD for the wheel tyre combo.

See sheldons pages for more info on sizes.