Oops new bike

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Well i stupidly didnt buy a planet-x carbon when they were £199 so I've treated myself to a new FGSS commuter for the short winter commute.

Dolan pre cursa
Dolan-Pre-Cursa.jpg
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    what, no brakes??
  • itboffin
    Paul E wrote:
    what, no brakes??

Lol yes i'll be fitting brakes and using the SS rather than FG

Edit: to be honest i didnt feel comfortable leaving a Dolan CX with dura ace and a crank bros Ti BB at the station everyday.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    can you report back on how it rides. tempted to get one of these frames - only £200 for frameset with seatpost.
  • itboffin
    They ride brilliantly I have the multicross which is practically the same, the top tube comes up a bit short for me so plumped for the 56 rather than my 54 CX, pretty light too

and come on £200 for a frame with carbon forks and seatpost/headset etc BARGAIN or what!
  • itboffin wrote:

and come on £200 for a frame with carbon forks and seatpost/headset etc BARGAIN or what!

Hard to argue with...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Good work, Sir. Nine already? I get flak for having four.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    itboffin wrote:

Hard to argue with...

*MRS leans back in his chair, his eyes narrow, his fingers steepled next to his mouth, as he considers whether he can get away with a new bike*

Nice, ITB.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Now that's pretty
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    It is nice. My commute is too hilly for a SS. I could only 'justify' one as a work of art to hang on the wall and I dont think I could get that through the committee.
    Saw a nice one recently, a rat something or other.
  • itboffin
    I will add that 4 years ago i managed my fastest ever commute of 20 miles in 48 mins inc hills on my trusty old FGSS steel, im pretty sure that will be may best ever bike ride however it was SS and although it took months to build that speed i still believe there's something amazing about the whole single gear bike riding.
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    Man im tempted now. Would have to get a complete bike as i don't have any spare kit to put on it. still £449.99 is not too bad if the wheels are decent.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    thumbsUp.jpg
  • If only it were steel...
  • itboffin
    Twaz on my steel FGSS i posted that time, which had now be rebuilt as my Amtel Gold mean machine
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Excellent value - there is a chap on my commute who has one, fixed with bullhorns. Smart looking bike.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Tempted by one of their CX frames....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Tempted by the Seta on cycle to work if my place still manage to transfer it for a fiver at the end of a year.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • itboffin
    It's arrived, just need to purchase some hardshells and we should be all set up by the weekend.
  • itboffin
    Hmmm those folks at Dolan do make lovely bikes

IMAG0130.jpg

not sure if I should go with tan leather saddle & bar tape or my worn out white saddle / tape combo?

IMAG0131.jpg
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Nice.

Far too many sweet bike bikes appearing on this forum
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    itboffin wrote:
    The top tube comes up a bit short for me so plumped for the 56 rather than my 54 CX, pretty light too

What are you body dimensions. I want a CX frame and Dolan seems to be the best value at the mo but sizing is the issue. Inside leg and height please.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Gussio
    @ITB - be interested to know whether there are any toe overlap issues when you have the bike built up. For the price, I'm sorely tempted...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Gussio wrote:
    @ITB - be interested to know whether there are any toe overlap issues when you have the bike built up. For the price, I'm sorely tempted...

Is that a real problem?

I have that on all my road bikes.
  • Gussio
    Gussio wrote:

Is that a real problem?

I have that on all my road bikes.

I think so. Track bikes can have very upright forks which isn't an issue on the track, but not ideal for navigating through traffic. Only time I have ridden a track bike on the road it was a friend's Principia and it put the fear into me. Don't have that promlem with my Pompino or Roubaix. The Dolan looks more relaxed from the photo.
  • Gussio
    Combination of considerable toe overlap + fixed = not somewhere I want to be
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Toeverlap + fixed is indeed a bad combination. My Banana suffered that and every now and then it would catch me out. My new (if a 28 year old frame can be called new) fixie is more relaxed and its not a problem.

If I was building another fixie toeverlap would be something I'd look into and take steps to avoid. I've never found it a problem if I've got a freewheel though.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin
    Shouldn't be a problem I opted for the carbon road fork also popped into condor for a matching white crankset