Frozen Track Pump?

Pross
Pross Posts: 43,171
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
Just been getting my bike ready for a quick spin and went to pump the tyres up but the track pump handle wouldn't go all the way. The more I tried the higher it stayed. The only thing I can think is that some water has become frozen in the hose part blocking the air from getting through and building up pressure in the pump. Anyone else had this happen?

Comments

• Interesting that pross, I was going to go out this morn, attached the track pump nozzley thing, after the second pump the end of the valve just kind of exploded. I can only put it down to the cold, never seen it before. bizarre.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Everything in my shed is frozen, I wanted to take the MTB out to play in the snow but the shed lock was frozen, the bike lock is frozen, the gear cables are frozen and the brakes are acting very weird so she's in the house to warm up while I watch the rugby instead....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Out on a 40 mile ride yesterday , got a flat and fixed it, went to lock my Specialized pump onto the valve with the lever and the tightening bezel snapped in two, probably went brittle in -6 deg c, lucky i had my CO2 inflator with me as a back up, extreme cold can make many materials brittle, metal and plastics.
  • Just compleat Black Ice here in the NWest its rained and every surface is covered...car looks like its 'Hammerite' finish ...been out to grit the road..
  • Went out this afternoon for quick 25 mile dash - before the snow was forecast to fall.

The roads were dry and white with salt for the first two-thirds of the ride. Every time a HGV
    a went by, a white cloud of the stuff rose up in its wake. You can't help but inhale it. Had salty
    lips for much of the ride. Then it started to snow half an hour earlier than the BBC/Met had
    predicted. You can't trust bloomin' forecasters these days! Bring back Michael Fish, I say. ;)

Anyway, first ride in the snow for nearly forty years. Probably overly-careful on the corners
    and roundabouts, but better-safe-than-sorry on these tyres. Lovely to get back to a warm
    home and a nice cup of tea. :)
    - Slave to the cadence -
  • Frozen track pump uh !!

been out every day this week for 60 to 80 km rides down as low as -9 in the day time here, thermal bottle and a flask, got back every day with frozen feet, good job that fugu jacket kept the cold out , the high point of todays ride was being chased by a dog uphill into the icy wind, quick as a flash as mans best friend is about to take a bite of my ankles, i squirted the little bugger (cairn terrier) with warm energy drink, the little so and so must have liked it, he came around the other side for some more, so i let him have it,
    i,ll not be doing that route for a while longer.
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    I went for a quick jaunt into the Peaks, went to take a swig from my bottle - the bugger was frozen!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    donkykong wrote:
    Frozen track pump uh !!

been out every day this week for 60 to 80 km rides down as low as -9 in the day time here, thermal bottle and a flask, got back every day with frozen feet, good job that fugu jacket kept the cold out , the high point of todays ride was being chased by a dog uphill into the icy wind, quick as a flash as mans best friend is about to take a bite of my ankles, i squirted the little bugger (cairn terrier) with warm energy drink, the little so and so must have liked it, he came around the other side for some more, so i let him have it,
    i,ll not be doing that route for a while longer.

I didn't say I didn't go out. Brought the pump inside and defrosted it then did 30 miles in the snow, got home with the vents in my helmet full of snow. Went out again yesterday - warmest of my six rides in the week at 2 degrees, soaked to the skin by melting snow though and had to take it easy on the descents as only the wheel tracks were clear.