OT .mkv file help

evil_breakfast
evil_breakfast Posts: 460
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
downloaded a 7.95g file to the C: and now I can't move it over to an external HDD with the following

A-ha I thought, then I'll just compress it to the destination then and unzip it.
Nope. gets to 50% and then says Not Enough Disk Space (of which there is plenty)
Any bods out there with a solution?
You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Sorry I can't help, I don't do illegal downloads
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    But if you really must, download a file-splitter
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,147
    check the format of the external drive, if it's fat32 the maximum file size is about 4gb, if you try to put a larger file on it you'll get errors

format as ntfs or exfat to allow larger file size
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Not sure if possible with ExFat but if you format to NTFS there is no need to back-up your data beforehand. I had the same issue as you and did an NTFS format with data still on the HDD and suffered no loss.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Just incase this is because your disk is currently FAT16 / 32 and you want to convert to NTFS (to allow for larger file sizes). Then take a look at this. You wont lose your data and it only takes a few seconds:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

The key command is : convert e: /fs:ntfs - where E: is the driver letter you want to convert.

Hope that helps.