Hard Riding Short Travel (4") Full Suss Advice

jesper98
jesper98 Posts: 46
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a shorter travel bike but would need something that could take some abuse. I posted on here a while back asking about the Giant Anthem X4 but after seeing it in person it looks like a pure XC bike to me. I've been also looking at the Santa Cruz Superlight and the Orange ST4. Can anybody think of any others which would be suitable?
Thanks!!

Comments

• ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Demoed a ST-4 Pro and LOVED it! I know of a 2011 M and a L going cheap if interested?
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Transition double
    Commencal Meta 4x
    Yeti 4x
    Specialized SX (not trail, but you'd have to import)
    Black Market KillSwitch

What's your budget?
    Most 100mm bikes are built for xc so it's the slopestyle and 4x bikes to look for.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,795
    What sort of abuse are you thinking of? Anthems are good for a most trail work not just pure XC - mine can handle pretty much anything in the South East and is OK for some moderate jumping etc. But if you are looking at some proper 'abuse' then maybe short travel isn't what you need, or else you should be looking at jump bikes etc as mentioned above.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • jesper98 wrote:
    Hi, I'm thinking of getting a shorter travel bike but would need something that could take some abuse. I posted on here a while back asking about the Giant Anthem X4 but after seeing it in person it looks like a pure XC bike to me. I've been also looking at the Santa Cruz Superlight and the Orange ST4. Can anybody think of any others which would be suitable?
    Thanks!!

not sure what you mean about pure xc, have done many xc routes both local and in the lakes on my anthem and these involved big downhill rock gardens in fact did the stavely and nan bield pass in summer which is a knarly xc route caught up and passed a group of young lads in there twenties on 5" and "6 suspension bikes but at no point did i think i never needed more travel, so do you need a full on downhill bike or a jump bike instead
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • Thanks for all your replies. The reason why I'm looking at a shorter travel bike is that I don't feel that challenged on my Giant Reign with 6" of travel. I don't do many jumps but I do like to go fast and will be riding some rough trails. The thing that's putting me off the Giant Anthem is where the top tube meets the seatpost. It looks really skinny and about half the diameter of the Reign. I do like the look of it though and I suppose Giant know what they're doing but I wouldn't want a bike that I'd have to baby on the downhill sections.