Estepona Road bike hire and routes

nwns88
nwns88 Posts: 107
edited December 2012 in Tour & expedition
Just ended a few days of cycling in Estepona, Spain so thought I would post some tips for anyone thinking about doing something similar.

Estepona is a great base for road cycling and mountain biking. The local bike shop http://www.radikalbike.com/ rent mountain bikes, but only sell road bikes. So I hired a Scott Speedster from http://www.marbellarentabike.com/. It cost 18 euro a day for a nine speed Scott Speedster 30 equipped with Tiagra and 105 components and a compact chainset. I brought my own pedals, they charge for extras like pedals, bottles, gps etc. They delivered the bike at 0900 to my flat for 18 euro (this includes pickup too). The price includes a spare tube, pump, and two bottle cages. Or take your own bike. We flew out with Monarch from Birmingham to Malaga and hired a car. The drive to Estepona is about an hour and a half.

The bike was OK, and the gearing was fine for the mountains that I went up.

I contacted the local bike club,http://www.unionciclistavirgendelcarmen.es/ before I left and asked whether they would be OK with me joining them for their club rides. The president of the club, Juan, sent me a few emails and confirmed they were happy to have non members ride out with them. Their weekend rides depart at 0900 from a cafe opposite the http://maps.google.es/maps/ms?msid=204528702414871191273.000471573a37d3be3c8bd&msa=0&ll=36.42774,-5.144906&spn=0.005223,0.013057&iwloc=00047178d4395409aca48. They do about 120 km each day and the pace is a steady 18-20 mph. They stop about half way for a cafe break. They are a nice, friendly bunch and a few speak English. The rides attract about 20 riders.

Their web site (above) has google earth maps for most of their routes. On weekdays they leave at 1700 from the roundabout just up from the square and do about 2 hours.

Most of the routes head west towards Gibraltar on the dual carriageway A7 before heading inland. The road can seem a bit off putting, but there is a hard shoulder to ride along, and the drivers show cyclists a bit of respect. The ride out of town over the Penas Blancas mountain to Jubrique is a good one, climbing to 980 meters.

I didn't try any mountain biking, but I did see plenty of marked routes up in the mountains, so I imagine there is plenty of good stuff out here. The cycle club web site has a few mountain bike routes that you can download, or radikal bike will be able to tell you the best ones.

The town itself is nice and quiet, with a prom about 2.5 km long, a port with a few nice bars and restaurants, a long sandy beach with views to Gibraltar and Africa. The old town is full of little bars and restaurants. There is a cafe and play for the kids on the front, and a few parks on the prom to keep the kids happy. The atmosphere is relaxed.

I hope this info helps anyone thinking about a trip. I will be back next year.

Comments

• BikeMarbella appears to be the nearest bike hire shop to Estepona, situated in Marbella. Their hire page is here. You can also find bike hire shops in Malaga, Fuengirola and San Pedro de Alcantara listed in Spanish Yellow Pages - look for the word "alquiler" in the listings.
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • nwns88
    Thanks for the info.
  • nwns88
    Just ended a few days of cycling in Estepona, Spain so thought I would post some tips for anyone thinking about doing something similar.

Estepona is a great base for road cycling and mountain biking. The local bike shop http://www.radikalbike.com/ rent mountain bikes, but only sell road bikes. So I hired a Scott Speedster from http://www.marbellarentabike.com/. It cost 18 euro a day for a nine speed Scott Speedster 30 equipped with Tiagra and 105 components and a compact chainset. I brought my own pedals, they charge for extras like pedals, bottles, gps etc. They delivered the bike at 0900 to my flat for 18 euro (this includes pickup too). The price includes a spare tube, pump, and two bottle cages. Or take your own bike. We flew out with Monarch from Birmingham to Malaga and hired a car. The drive to Estepona is about an hour and a half.

The bike was OK, and the gearing was fine for the mountains that I went up.

I contacted the local bike club, http://www.unionciclistavirgendelcarmen.es/ before I left and asked whether they would be OK with me joining them for their club rides. The president of the club, Juan, sent me a few emails and confirmed they were happy to have non members ride out with them. Their weekend rides depart at 0900 from a cafe opposite the http://maps.google.es/maps/ms?msid=204528702414871191273.000471573a37d3be3c8bd&msa=0&ll=36.42774,-5.144906&spn=0.005223,0.013057&iwloc=00047178d4395409aca48. They do about 120 km each day and the pace is a steady 18-20 mph. They stop about half way for a cafe break. They are a nice, friendly bunch and a few speak English. The rides attract about 20 riders.

Their web site (above) has google earth maps for most of their routes. On weekdays they leave at 1700 from the roundabout just up from the square and do about 2 hours.

Most of the routes head west towards Gibraltar on the dual carriageway A7 before heading inland. The road can seem a bit off putting, but there is a hard shoulder to ride along, and the drivers show cyclists a bit of respect. The ride out of town over the Penas Blancas mountain to Jubrique is a good one, climbing to 980 meters.

I didn't try any mountain biking, but I did see plenty of marked routes up in the mountains, so I imagine there is plenty of good stuff out here. The cycle club web site has a few mountain bike routes that you can download, or radikal bike will be able to tell you the best ones.

The town itself is nice and quiet, with a prom about 2.5 km long, a port with a few nice bars and restaurants, a long sandy beach with views to Gibraltar and Africa. The old town is full of little bars and restaurants. There is a cafe and play for the kids on the front, and a few parks on the prom to keep the kids happy. The atmosphere is relaxed.

I hope this info helps anyone thinking about a trip. I will be back next year.
  • I was going to hire a bike from marbellarentabike, but they could only deliver as far as Malaga airport, but I was staying 35 miles the other side in Nerja, and didn't want the bike for the full two week holiday. My only option was www.sedikisandalucie.com who are a few miles outside Nerja. They advertise Orbea with Shimano 105 bikes at 25 euros per day (they gave a small discount for 10 days, but charged for delivery and collection). The bike they delivered had Tiagra (only the rear mech was 105). The hire price included a helmet (complete with someone elses hair in it), one used 500ml bottle (they said a maximum of two with cages), mini pump and foot pump (not a track pump, and it took ages to get the tyres upto pressure), and a wedge pack (no spare tube in it, but one was delivered whilst I was out on the second day ride). It was when I signed the paperwork without properly inspecting the bike (my mistake) I discovered there was no insurance. I'd only assumed the higher than average hire cost included it. I crashed on day four (cyclist error/ wheels not true), but the hire man did come to my rescue. I didn't get any money back for the remaining six days hire (bandaged leg put paid to that), and I got billed over 200 euros for two new wheels ( budget Shimano 500 are a lot dearer in Spain than in the UK), tyre and tube. I hope people learn from my mistake!
  • Just joined the forum and read your article on Estepona. I am 71 and for the past five years have been using Estepona as a base for short mountain bike trips. We found Bike Station Marbella, the best bike hire shop in the area. It caters for mtbs and roadies. Next May we are planning using the road bikes. My son is attempting the Mont Ventoux Challenge next year - three times up! Mad! He wants some early season climbs. We are planning Los Palomas near Ronda a category uno climb. And some others. Now for your advice guys especially you "auld dun racers" over 70?
    I find the hills too much for me now even with a compact. Thinking of a triple for Spain. Sadly the rental shops only do compacts. If I were to use an mtb with slicks do you think I will be ok? Los Palomas et al?
  • Well, thanks for the useful posts as very informative. Now bike rental grand rapids mi offers a multiple hour and day rates for each urban and mountain bike rentals. As these rentals comes with complete accessory like bike helmet, lock, and rentals fees can be applied toward a purchase also.