Which Singlespeed MTB?

Crayfish
Crayfish Posts: 225
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
After many years of mountain biking with steel, aluminium and carbon frames on both hardtail and full suss bikes, I feel I'm ready to give a single speed a go.

However, I'm struggling to figure out how to buy one and what the choices are.

They're not commonly for sale as new bikes, by the looks of it.

Any advice for a first time SS buyer?
http://www.youtube.com/user/stumpy25lbs
Choose a ****ing big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin can openers. Choose a bike. Choose some singletrack. Choose your future. Choose Life. (Irv Welsh)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just ride a geared bike and don't change gear.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Crayfish
    cooldad wrote:

really helpful - thanks
    Choose a ****ing big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin can openers. Choose a bike. Choose some singletrack. Choose your future. Choose Life. (Irv Welsh)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Build an On-one carbon Whippet as SS, or even carbon 456 if you wanted more beefy rig (£299 for the frame at the moment).

Whatever you like really. It's just any bike without gears. Build one, or just buy a geared bike and convert to SS (bin gears, SS hub + single ring up front. Chain - ?). Or ride it just in one gear :D
  • cooldad
    Crayfish wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

really helpful - thanks
    No problem.
    Unless I detect a note of gentle sarcasm?
    It is the simplest and cheapest way of finding out if it's what you want though.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Crayfish
    So can't you buy a singlespeed bike? Why do you have to build one? Surely some manufacturers sell them...?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A chap in my MTB group rode his without changing gear for a bit, then he used a geared frame (readily available) and built it SS with a tensioner, used a SRAM cassette you can take apart to fine tune the gear he wanted and then finally bought an SS conversion for the hub. We have a number of SS's in the club (local area quite flat....) about 1/3 run tensioners in a geared frame. Of the rest about 1/3 run Inbreds and the other 1/3 (really) run sanderson soloists with the eccentric BB.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Crayfish
    Thanks cooldad. I did come across these links - the last one is American and I don't think all those bikes are available in the UK (and what prices!!). I can't imagine not having a suspension fork, so the rigid Van Nicholas and Genesis Fortitude are out, and that just leaves the Gary Fisher, which is fairly low spec (mechanical disc brakes).

I'm just not really finding what I'm looking for, which to be more specific would be:
    - decent frame (steel probably - e.g. Reynolds 853)
    - good suspension fork
    - decent spec brakes
    - 26" wheels

Simon - thanks. I guess I'm just not that good at bike mechanics to feel confident in taking a geared frame, building in a tensioner and trying different cassette gears, then the hub conversion etc. I'll take a look at the Inbreds though - thanks.
  • Its easy enough to convert a bike to single speed. You could maybe pick up a geared bargain then convert it? Sell the parts on to get a few quid back.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Genesis Io (if you can find one)

Sanderson Soloist

Cro-mo frame (4.8lb)
    Recon Gold forks
    SLX group
    All for about £800

That said though, I'd still not rule out the On-ones as suggested before. They'll build one for you you know. You can either spec it yourself and they'll give you a quote, or give them a price and outline of what you're after and they'll spec something up for you within those constraints.
  • cooldad
    Or a second hand On One. Seems cheap enough, but would be easier once he learns how to post pics.
    viewtopic.php?f=40050&t=12834435
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Or a second hand On One. Seems cheap enough, but would be easier once he learns how to post pics.

I'd refuse to buy it on the basis he's clearly a lazy cnut. I mean, not only can he not be bothered to post pics or learn how. But he can't even be arrsed posting up a full spec. I farkin' HATE it when people do that. GRRRRRR
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pikeys make all that effort to nick the things and they can't be bothered on the listing.

;)

(not saying this guy is. Though I'd never buy from a vague listing).
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    cooldad wrote:

I'd refuse to buy it on the basis he's clearly a lazy cnut. I mean, not only can he not be bothered to post pics or learn how. But he can't even be arrsed posting up a full spec. I farkin' HATE it when people do that. GRRRRRR

Annoys me too. Deleted.