Middle chain ring

orienteerstu55
orienteerstu55 Posts: 102
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey Guys

I noticed my chain wobbling a lot the other day, i think i have a slightly bent middle ring after clipping a rock. Not sure if its even possible to bend the middle and not the big ring.

My question is how easy is it to change the middle ring? any special tools needed?

Thanks for your help

Stu

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it's changeable you can sometimes do it without removing the crank, just using an allen key, sometimes the crank has to come off which may mean a puller depending on what BB you have.

Some chainsets the rings cannot be replaced seperately so its a new chainset time.

Or just bend the ring back straight......assuming it's bent and it's not the ramps making it look bent!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Does it all work fine? Then leave it alone as you may well be seeing something that is normal.

Rings are not flat. Teeth ar not all the same....l
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • yeh it does work fine (ish) ... it makes the chain wobble and touch one side of the front derailure tho, i might try leaving it then and just alter the limiter screws. thanks for the help
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't do anything with the limit screws, that's not what they are for. If it is a bit bent take it off and give it a bit of a whack with a hammer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools