Help with rear triangle on Trek Fuel 9.5 2008

Legranfromage
Legranfromage Posts: 5
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I am hoping someone can help with a small, but potentially costly, predicament please.
Last year, probably the smallest part on my rear triangle snapped off. The small lug that holds the brake calipers completely severed off and as a result tore off the callipers and bent the rear disc.

I phoned Trek and they advised that I would need a whole near rear triangle but as I am not first owner of the bike, it’s not covered warranty.

I took it to the bike shop and they are unable to source a rear triangle to fit my frame (2008 Trek Fuel 9.5) therefore, my only option is a replacement frame. The cheapest option given by the shop is a aluminium frame for £1200!!! All for that little lug snapping off.

There is nothing wrong with the frame I have other than this piece. If I go for the frame, I still have to buy the callipers and disc (plus some other bits) – so I reckon total bill could well be over £1500 just for one part failure.

Does anyone have any advice please on what options are available to me? Do I buy a frame or buy a new bike altogether (which I am reluctant to do as I love this bike)? Or are there any other options available to me?

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.

Pat

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I'd put wanted-ads up here (and elsewhere). Maybe you'll find someone with a rear triangle, if you're lucky, or maybe you'll find another 2nd-hand Fuel frame. If not, then I'd probably bite the bullet and buy a new bike; swap out any nice parts from the old one and sell everything that's left over.
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    alot say you cant, but i'd look into getting it welded.
    its gona cost a lot less then £1200 what you got to lose as the saying goes, fcuk if you do fcuk if you don't :wink:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds as if when you called Trek, if they said you needed to replace the rear triangle, they must still be available.
    Maybe try a different dealer?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mkf - I spoke to a fabricator pal of mine and he said it can't be welded but I might ask around
    cooldad - I'll try a couple of other dealers. Trek didn't take details of year of frame when I made enquiries. I just told em it was the fuel 9.5 and they advised the rear triangle. Bike shop I used contacted Trek and that's when they said triangle no longer available
    warpcow - crackin idea about the wanted ads. Never even crossed my mind to be honest. I had a quick butchers around ebay but nothing at the moment. I'll keep looking
    Thanks for the advice all