maxxis ardents

castlelad
castlelad Posts: 414
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
[url][/url]Maxxis Ardent, an aggressive tread in high-volume casings distinguishes the newest addition to Maxxis' downhill and mountain disciplines. Designed with great traction in mind, the Ardent doesn't forget the racer. Large block-style side knobs offer numerous edges for high-speed corners. Center tread, while designed for braking and accelerating traction, also features ramped knobs to minimize rolling resistance. With a wide variety of size offerings, the Maxxis Ardent captures every mountain rider's needs.

Special OfferIn Stock TODAY 03 Feb 2012 ...
26 x 2.25 Folding 60a Kevlar / EXO
26 x 2.25 Folding 60a Kevlar
26 x 2.25 Folding 62a/60a / LUST
26 x 2.25 Wire-On 60a
26 x 2.40 Folding 60a / EXO
26 x 2.40 Wire-On 60a SPC / EXO
26 x 2.60 Wire-On 60a DPC

What does all the 60a/62a/EXO/LUST/SPC/DPC and which would be better suited to the coming months .......

Comments

• are you on about Maxxis Ardent like the text, or Maxxis High Rollers like the title??

apparently the Ardents are poor in the mud, where as High Rollers fair a bit better.

The 60/62a are the durometer rating of the compounds, the smaller the number the softer the compound for better grip versus slower rolling and faster wear.

LUST stands for Lightweight Universal Standard Tubeless, which is designed for tubeless running on UST rims.

EXO is the sidewall protection i think

SPC is single ply casing, standard tyres

DPC is dual ply casing, i.e heavier duty downhill tyres, 1kg plus with stronger sidewalls.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • sorry yes it's meant to be for ardent ,*edited title now*.

well that knockes the ardents from my list , cheers.
  • castlelad wrote:
    well that knockes the ardents from my list , cheers.

Uh, you post a question asking what the variants mean, someone replies and then you say they're off your list ?

FWIW, I think the Ardent is a great '3 season' tyre, good at most things but U/S in mud. If by 'the coming months' you mean spring and summer then it's a good choice, however if you mean the remainer of Feb and March then I'd look elsewhere.
    IMO, go for the 2.25 60a single ply folding unless you feel the need for tougher sidewalls (EXO), even tougher sidewalls (DPC) or you want to run tubeless without sealant (LUST).
  • Use a 2.25 60a exo on the rear and I'm very impressed by it. Would agree with it being overwhelmed in mud but seen as I mostly ride in the lake district where the trails are predominantly rocky it's not a problem for me. Went for the exo version because I wanted to go down the ghetto tubeless route so my thinking was that it would give me more protection from ripped sidewalls. Certainly rolls better than my previous tyre, a kenda nevegal.
    When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim
  • Well when the 1st reply does'nt rate 'em then why should i not think about a different tyre choice ?. What i mean by "the coming months " is sort of from march through to sept, which will hopefully be a bit drier ,as i have a tyre set up that works for me in the gluppy stuff.....cheers tho
  • castlelad wrote:
    Well when the 1st reply does'nt rate 'em then why should i not think about a different tyre choice ?. What i mean by "the coming months " is sort of from march through to sept, which will hopefully be a bit drier ,as i have a tyre set up that works for me in the gluppy stuff.....cheers tho

i must confess i havent actually tried them, not yet anyway, but iv read tons of reviews for all sort of different tyres, but the common factor with the ardents is that they are poo poo in the mud. but then again it was never designed to be a winter specific tyre.

as a drier weather tyre it will be fine. but then again so will most things. from the reviews i would say that the Ardent and Advantage are fairly similar, with people prefering 1 or the other but not many liking both.

the only thing i can suggest is try them and give your own feedback.

also the Specialized Eskar is a very similar tread pattern to the Adrent, i have used that as a rear in the drier part of last year and it was good. and cheaper than the Ardent.
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • for your information buddy. took the bike out today up a snowy cannock chase. the ground was firm and slippy in places and the Eskar on the front performed superbly. it only let go when i pushed way too hard into corners, leaned right over, and that was only because of the icy rocks.

i was running tubeless at 22psi. i suggest you try 1 of these on the front like i have.

did have it on the rear last year and it rolls pretty well, but havent tried it tubeless on rear yet so could improve.
    Clank wrote:
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Ardent 2.25 is my tyre of choice on the rear. Swap it for a nevegal (with the side wall shield,) when it is muddy.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Ardent on the back works for me in most winter conditions. How often do you get ankle deep goop in a ride would rather roll faster for 95% of a ride and use a bit of body english when it gets slithery. They do slip but clear fast when you get rolling again never seem to carry any mud around.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap