Puncture Prevention - kevlar tyre inserts

Ghostt
Ghostt Posts: 192
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Has anyone used/know if kevlar tyre inserts (such as http://www.wiggle.co.uk/panaracer-flataway-tyre-liner/) are any good? Reason being I've had eight punctures in less than two months (using Bontrager Mud X TLRs) and I'm kind of fed up with repairing/replacing tubes. I changed to Panaracer Fire XC Pro's last weekend but again, took the bike out of the shed Monday and two flats...
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    never used these kevar things but i did on my mtbs and still do on my road bike. use joe's no flats in my tubes to prevent puctures i did not have a punture in 18 months on my hardtail with mud x tyres on..

does not prevent pich flats though.. like i said i did not have a puncture in 18month using joes but did end up wearing it when i pinched on a rock at lee quarry impact was that hard it split the tyre and tube, it looked likea elephant had jizzed over me and my bike,, liquid latex stimks to..

will prevent puntures from thorns glas and the usual culprits though..

i not had a punture on my road bike for well over 2 year either..

joe's
    stans
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    Cheers Delcol, will give some sealant a go. Not keen to go tubeless yet, I know there are many arguments for it but just seems like something to go wrong to me.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • tubeless is a bit of a faff to begin with, well it was for me anyway, but i feel the benefits outweight the possible issues.

for instance i found a large thorn in my tyre last week. it was plugging the hole so no air lost anyway, but i pulled it out, rotated the wheel so hole was at bottom, sealant squirted out for about 4-5 seconds then stopped, all sealed, job done.

you can run lower pressures without fearing pinch punctures, today i ran 22psi front and 20psi rear.

try doing that with tubes and not riding like a fairy.

the only real major problem i can see is you really need a decent all round tyre to use. because changing is a pain, and the sealant is messy like Delcol says.

i have only been running tubeless for 2 months but i can honestly say i wouldnt go back to tubes unless i absolutly had to.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.