Chris Huhne - a lesson

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/arts/if-only-marcus-einfeld-had-chosen-to-tell-the-truth/story-e6frg8nf-1226142909334

Just saying like, cause obviously it is just an allegation at the moment. But one should know when to fess up and tell the truth.
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I think the lesson is - don't vote Lib Dem...
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Funny thinking that if the Lib Dems where never anywhere near government he might have got away with it*

*refering to the alligations coming to light not whether or not he is guilty that that isn't yet to be determined :P
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    All could have been avoided, if only he'd paid the $75.00. Oh and his alibi had not been dead for 3 years!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Must suck being in a job where this kind of thing means you get sacked.

No-one in my office would get sacked if this happened.

Greenpeace gave him a pretty glowing send-off.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    The lesson is if you've asked your wife to lie and take tbe blame for something don't then cheat on her and end up divorced.

-e- Obviously I didn't read the article before I posted my reply :oops:
  • suzyb wrote:
    The lesson is if you've asked your wife to lie and take tbe blame for something don't then cheat on her and end up divorced.

He who lives by the pork sword, dies by the pork sword.

Mind you, I bet when she went squinnying to the rozzers that she wasn't expecting a potential trip to chokey either!!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Blatanty lifted from Twitter

"Chris Huhne's wife is to replace John Terry as England Captain - she's very good at taking penalties, apparently"
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I don't think she squinnyed to the Rozzers. They took an interest when she suggested that he "might" have got someone to take the blame for his ticket. It got noticed she had 3 points on her license that corresponded to the day and area his car got done for it. She was elsewhere whooping it up.

Both appear guilty, though that of course is up to a court of law to decide.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Who'd you rather:

Vicky Pryce
    VickyPryce620_2005434c.jpg

Or

Carina Trimingham - The mistress
    22_carina_trimingham_r_k.jpg

The Tories have the best women...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,371
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You're not still lusting after that air-head Mensch are you?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You're not still lusting after that air-head Mensch are you?
    She's my go to Tory Lady, yes...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636

Are you really sypathising with him? Jeez Rick, is there anything left of centre you won't seemingly apologise for?

Everyone in my office would get sacked for this kind of thing. Would no-one in your office lose their job if they got sent to prison? Really?

PCOJ is a serious offence - it's particularly bad if you are in a position of trust or responsibility, like being an MP or a member of the bloody cabinet!
  • rick_chasey
    W1 wrote:

Are you really sypathising with him? Jeez Rick, is there anything left of centre you won't seemingly apologise for?

Everyone in my office would get sacked for this kind of thing. Would no-one in your office lose their job if they got sent to prison? Really?

PCOJ is a serious offence - it's particularly bad if you are in a position of trust or responsibility, like being an MP or a member of the bloody cabinet!

No I'm not sympathising with him.

It's just a sh!tty job being an MP. I have no idea why anyone would do it.

If they got sent to prison sure they'd get sacked, but I doubt Huhne will, will he?
  • W1
    W1 wrote:

No I'm not sympathising with him.

It's just a sh!tty job being an MP. I have no idea why anyone would do it.

If they got sent to prison sure they'd get sacked, but I doubt Huhne will, will he?
    If he's convicted, I would hope so. Others have been.

It hardly "sucks" to get sacked for committing a serious criminal offence - it is part of the consequences of the action The fact is, he said he would resign if he were charged, so he's not been sacked per se.

I'm not sure what the relevance of Greenpeace's opinion is.....
  • rick_chasey
    It's relevant because he was in the cabinet, and driving offence or not, his influence on environmental policy is lost, for good or bad.

That's part of the story.
  • cornerblock
    I'm not a member of Greenpeace, but I think as energy and climate change secretary he was doing a wonderful job. Once he and his ex-wife are convicted there will be two less cars on the road. Great.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I think he's the first MP in over 100 years to be charged with something that could possibly lead to a prison sentence.

The previous one was in 1903 when someone was caught in the bushes with a member of the Coldstream Guards, apparently. I read that earlier today, can't remember where, sorry!

Peverting the course of justice is a massive deal, it's not like he's being sacked for getting points on his license.....of course, he may be found not guilty, and then he could be back and want to stir up trouble for the coalition that was happy to dump him.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cornerblock
    bails87 wrote:
    I think he's the first MP in over 100 years to be charged with something that could possibly lead to a prison sentence.

The previous one was in 1903 when someone was caught in the bushes with a member of the Coldstream Guards, apparently. I read that earlier today, can't remember where, sorry!

Peverting the course of justice is a massive deal, it's not like he's being sacked for getting points on his license.....of course, he may be found not guilty, and then he could be back and want to stir up trouble for the coalition that was happy to dump him.
    The previous one was in 1903 when someone was caught in the bushes with a member of the Coldstream Guards, apparently.

Were they guilty of trying to get someone to take something for them too?
  • Considering you can get 6 months for looking up google about the defendant in a rape trial as a juror I think he should definitely get time. These people are supposed to be law makers and not law breakers remember.
  • W1
    It's relevant because he was in the cabinet, and driving offence or not, his influence on environmental policy is lost, for good or bad.

That's part of the story.
    I don't see how it's relevant - unless you're suggesting that it should be taken into account in the decision to charge him and/or his sentence if found guilty?

Frankly Greenpeace will look rather naiive if they've openly backed someone who turns out to be a liar and a crook. I'm not sure (arguably) saving some polar bears will make up for that.

And let's be clear - you are (presumably deliberately) diminishing the seriousness of the offence. It is not a "driving offence" - it is perverting the course of justice.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    "Considering you can get 6 months for looking up google about the defendant in a rape trial as a juror", It wasn't looking it up it was as the foreman telling the rest of the jury when it wasn't given in evidence.

Rightly or wrongly we still do not give previous convictions before sentencing.