Low budget bike?

daz1234
daz1234 Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi....

Im after a dual suspension bike with dual disc brakes for around £150 - £250?

I havent ridden for years now and am completey out of touch of which makes are good at the min on a budget. I know im probaly asking alot for that price range but does anyone know anything i could go for as a start out bike?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    No, you want to look at second hand hardtails.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    in this day and age you will struggle to find a decent full suss for this budget,, you may find a semi decent secondhand hardtail if your lucky...

you pay £250 for a decent set of disc brakes...

good luck with your search, i would be hitting ebay,,,
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    daz1234 wrote:
    Hi....

Im after a dual suspension bike with dual disc brakes for around £150 - £250?

I havent ridden for years now and am completey out of touch of which makes are good at the min on a budget. I know im probaly asking alot for that price range but does anyone know anything i could go for as a start out bike?

Thanks in advance
    have a read of this viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12640231 for some pointers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    If you want to buy new, a budget of £250 sadly won't get you far. Dreams of bikes with full-suspension and disc brakes will turn to nightmares as you realise that you've bought a lump that isn't fit for purpose. You'll be wondering how something that weighs like it's made of wrought iron can break so easily; bouncing up and down on squeeky steel springs, like so many chavvy swine with their socks tucked into their grey Tracky-Bs.

Nah, that ain't you. Save your money, dial down your expectations and go for something like this:

http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/sport-mtb/tufftrax-mens

It's not flash by any means. It isn't full-sus and it has V-Brakes instead of Discs, but it's a solid low-budget bike that you can use while you save up for something better if you get a taste for Mountain Biking. If things go wrong and you don't take to it, you'll still have a fine hack for the pub/shops/tow-paths/etc. Either way, it's money better spent.
  • Nice post El Zomba, thank you all for your advice.
  • This looks ok for the money Clicky
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At that budget I'd be looking for a used hardtail, you could get a decent 2-3 year old like a Carrera Vulcan, you would get a 24 speed with mechanical discs and a damped fork, it would cope with a trail centres 'OK' if that attracts you and will be a solid capable bike, it will also weigh about 15lb's less than a cheap full suss.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.