When did we start speaking our current language?

Comments

• Genau
    Genau Posts: 12
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    People would write in one language and speak in another? Where else or when has that ever been the norm in one Country.

The Swiss German speaking part of Switzerland today. They speak Swiss German but write in High German and the two are very different.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    This, for me, is one of the more intersting threads I've experienced. thanks for the info and links everyone!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    In Africa it's all over the place, but as a rule of thumb, the vernacular is not used when writing. It'll usually be either English or French, with perhaps one nominated African language by the state (though that will inevitably not be the vernacular used for many people there)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Paulie W wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    Latin was almost certainly never a spoken langauge in the UK
    I thought the Romans spoke Latin and bought it here when they occupied England?

Not really. It's rare for an occupying force to impose its langauge wholesale. Some of the British elite may have learnt Latin because that was a way to get on in life but most ordinary people wouldnt (which is not to say that Latin didnt have an impact on the language being spoken at the time). Many of the occupying soldiers wouldnt have been Latin speakers anyway (certainly not as a first language).

Most 'Roman' soldiers who came to this country from the provinces - for example the Ninth legion was dubbed 'Espania' and there are records of Syrian auxiliaries and bargemen from the Tigris serving on the wall. There would have been senior officials from Rome but many local governors were Romano-British
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,371
    Ancient Egypt had three written languages: Hieroglyphics, which everyone knows about, and was used for inscriptions and important documents and religious texts; Hieratic, a cursive form of hieroglyphics, and Demotic for every day use. And in the Ptolemaic period, they used Greek as well - Imagine the keyboards :shock:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    People would write in one language and speak in another? Where else or when has that ever been the norm in one Country.

I'm doing it now! Falo em Português e em Inglês escrever todos os dias on this forum. Well it's the norm for me! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032

The majority of romans spoke Greek as it was easier to be understood in the empire by doing so.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    monocle-guy.jpg

Hmmm. Quite. Indeed.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    In Africa it's all over the place, but as a rule of thumb, the vernacular is not used when writing. It'll usually be either English or French, with perhaps one nominated African language by the state (though that will inevitably not be the vernacular used for many people there)
    In my (limited) experience of Africa - Uganda basically - most educated people can speak at least three languages: English, used for school and official business and so the main written language; Swahili, which is a useful language up and down east Africa; and their own tribal language (the biggest in Uganda is Luganda, spoken by the Buganda), plus maybe one or two more.

And in the middle of Europe, exactly* as Genau commented, there is a variety of Germanish and Frenchish languages, so in Luxembourg for example, french is the written language for most official business, german is widely spoken, but Lëtzebuergesch, which comes across as a sort of cross between german and french, is what they mostly speak at home.

Although all this seems strange to us stubbornly monolingual brits, it looks like this kind of polylingualism is much more the norm both historically and round the world today.

*ibi quid vidisti? hast du gesehen, was ich dort tat? umeona nini mimi huko?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    bompington wrote:
    their own tribal language (the biggest in Uganda is Luganda, spoken by the Buganda)

Suppose they drink Um Bongo in the Congo too? ;)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    SimonAH wrote:
    It could be argued that we don't.

For example this is nominally English; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3PPnV2Uh-w

but I suspect that DDD will understand about 70% more than I do. By comparison if I took a lot of you down from London to the Welsh valleys and introduced you to some friends in the Rhondda I rather think that there would be a lot of head scratching there too. It's not just an accent, it's almost a patois.

By the way DDD, please translate what sounds like 'blood clot' for me! :-D

"Blood clot" (I would write it as 'blood claart') would be translated to "blood cloth". What we now know as a sanitary towel! That same applies to 'pussy claart'.

'Bumbo claart' and 'Raas claart' would translate to toilet paper.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Bûter, brea, en griene tsiis,
    Wa't dat net sizze kin is gjin oprjochte Fries.
    Butter, bread, and green cheese,
    Whoever cannot say that is no upright Frisian.

A google search for the above got me to this website: http://www.thehistoryofenglish.com/history_old.html
    The above poem is modern Frisian, which is supposed* to be the language closest to Old English, they have an audio clip of a Frisian speaker saying this.

*I am not an expert, unlike, I suspect, some of the other posters; however I found it interesting.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Another part that sheds light on our early social structure is that "ox" and "oxen" are germanic, but "beef" has french roots. similarly "sheep" and "mutton".

The explanation I've heard for this is that the Norman's would demand the meat, and the Saxon would have the job of looking after the livestock.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    If you have an interest in etymology can I recommend "Take our word for it"? Absolutely wonderful website if you'd like to know the roots and history of our language. I've wasted (?) many an hour trawling through it - fascinating.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rick_chasey
    jimmypippa wrote:

A google search for the above got me to this website: http://www.thehistoryofenglish.com/history_old.html
    The above poem is modern Frisian, which is supposed* to be the language closest to Old English, they have an audio clip of a Frisian speaker saying this.

*I am not an expert, unlike, I suspect, some of the other posters; however I found it interesting.

It is indeed shame that I was born in Friesland and do not speak Frisian.

Most people let me off though ;).
  • EKE_38BPM
    jimmypippa wrote:

It is indeed shame that I was born in Friesland and do not speak Frisian.

Most people let me off though ;).

I went to Friesland on a college exchange trip. If you were a bit younger I'd comment that there is a chance that I could be your dad. I liked Friesland (well one particular lady, anyway).

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    A History of the English Speaking Peoples by Winston Churchill is worth a read if you are interested in this kind of thing. If you can't get the four volumes, I think that there is an abridged version available. I read the books 15 years ago and found them to be wonderful - much more interesting than you might expect. Churchill's writing is very accessible.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Language is fun. I always thought it interesting that "ken" in Scottish English (is there a better term for that?) has the same meaning as the word does in Dutch.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    I'd suggest "The stories of English" - David Crystal
    If that's a bit lightweight, maybe: Trask's Historical Linguistics
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Language is fun. I always thought it interesting that "ken" in Scottish English (is there a better term for that?) has the same meaning as the word does in Dutch.

Scots I tihnk is the more common term for scottish english. I presume you mean "know" as in ah dunnae ken - I don't know.

Jammy piece = sandwich with jam within
    Messages = shopping list
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rjsterry
    notsoblue wrote:

Scots is the right word I think, possibly Lallans (literally Lowlands as opposed to the Gaelic speaking Highlands). This is because what is now part of southern Scotland was at one time part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Northumbria - cf. Edinburgh as opposed to the earlier Dun Eidyn. The Brythonic-speaking kingdom Cumbria also extended up to Glasgow. Just been reading all about this in Vanished Kingdoms by Norman Davies.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/shepherd/british_isles_802.jpg

This is why the Welsh name for Wales - Cymru - is similar to Cumbria - they originally spoke the same language. Wales is of Anglo-Saxon origin, meaning foreigner, much like the word Walloon.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:
    to the earlier Dun Eidyn.

Interesting - dunedain (pronounced dun ee den) is common name for schools and roads in edinburgh... Gaelic for edinburgh (it seems too) and how I would pronounce Dun Eidyn.

Tolkein nicked it and changed the pronounciation.

Well well well.
  • rick_chasey
    Christ it's like being back at home with the family (albeit less scintillating obviously ;))

Son of and brother to linguists. :roll:
  • Christ it's like being back at home with the family (albeit less scintillating obviously ;))

Heh, I knew 4 at uni... Most of that years intake infact.
  • rick_chasey
    Christ it's like being back at home with the family (albeit less scintillating obviously ;))

Heh, I knew 4 at uni... Most of that years intake infact.

No exaggeration, mum would bring out the dictionary and expect me and my sister to come up with a definition for a word that rival's the dictionary at dinner.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    to the earlier Dun Eidyn.

Interesting - dunedain (pronounced dun ee den) is common name for schools and roads in edinburgh... Gaelic for edinburgh (it seems too) and how I would pronounce Dun Eidyn.

Tolkein nicked it and changed the pronounciation.

Well well well.

Dun Eidyn is the Brythonic (British) spelling, I think. Tolkien was an expert on languages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien#Languages_and_philology
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Chinese. Arabic.
    All written languages to a greater or lesser extent - English English-speakers write English differently to the way they speak - but that's maybe more a change of register.

Doukipudonktan ?
  • EKE_38BPM
    notsoblue wrote:
    Language is fun!

• rjsterry
    Ooh, good spot.
    Pinnacle Monzonite