first road bike advice?

hydrodan
hydrodan Posts: 12
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Can any recommend a good soild first road bike for under £500? Its mainly for commuting, however I am also considering doing triathlons.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• A secondhand Specialized Allez Elite. I'm sure you'll find an good one for sale in the classifieds forum ;)
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    ... or if you fancy something a bit less racy, ie a more upright riding position for commuting then perhaps a Specialized Secteur?

Regards, EarlyGo
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The current C+ has an article on £500 bikes. An Allez came out top. Have a read
  • My first road bike has been the Carrera Virtuoso which I picked up in the sales for £250. I know it is frowned upon by some but I haven't any complaints with it. I've done 700 miles on it since september including the Shakespeare 100KM, and touchwood have had no problems. I wasn't sure whether I'd take to cycling and was working on a tight budget. I'd definitely recommend the Virtuoso for people in the same situation.
  • Specialized concept stores have a sale starting tomorrow and the entry level 2012 Allez (as reviewed in C+) is discounted down to £500. Both Evans and Edinburgh price match.

The Raleigh Airlite 500 reviewed very well in C+ a few months back.

Decathlon have a £500 bike with Sora groupset, carbon fork and seatstays but I have no idea wether it's any cop or not as nobody seems to review them. That being said I noticed a lot of french riders on decathlon bikes last year.

There are still plenty of 2011 bikes knocking round with good discounts.

Enjoy shopping, unless you buy a real dog it will be the best £500 you part with (written as a total newbie who is DELIGHTED with his Secteur)
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    I started off with an Allez, loved it, you won't go far wrong as long as it fits well.