Friday thread - Are we sitting comfortably?

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Are we, I'm not :(

In the office I sit on one of those big leather executive chairs and I could happily sit on it all day. But it's been the only office chair I've been able to sit on for a full day without ending up in pain.

At home I'm currently using one of these and can barely sit on it for an hour without something getting sore. I'm looking around for alternatives but I'm wary of spending yet more money to get another chair that I'll have exactly the same problems with.

Is uncomfortable chairs a common problem in UK offices. Or is it just me.

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Where are you uncomfortable.

My only requirement is that the chair swivels and has arm rests.

That is all.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    edited February 2012
    Get one of these

41M-WPchoUL._SS400_.jpg

The Aerons are good, had them at an old office.
    Bit pricey though, they're not even carbon :roll:

Edit: They've come down a lot actually, used to be well over a grand. A grand eh? Who'd pay a grand for a fancy looking thing you just sit on. Doesn't even have suspension, and doesn't that netting get painful. I'd get a comfier seat with more padding mate. Should probably wear a helmet too, incase you fall off.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You could try sitting on a Cone (not a traffic cone).

I think Ann Summers sell them
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I really couldn't say what provides the most comfort. Currently I'm sitting on one of these.

I did used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I sit in the lotus position
  • Feed comfortably on a surface when sitting upright with thighs horizontal, upper arms vertical and forearms horizontal parallel to and just above the table top?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • dhope wrote:
    Get one of these

41M-WPchoUL._SS400_.jpg

I have a yellow one of these. Sit on it all day at the office, I look like I'm tea-bagging Mr Happy.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    dhope wrote:
    Get one of these

41M-WPchoUL._SS400_.jpg

I have a yellow one of these. Sit on it all day at the office, I look like I'm tea-bagging Mr Happy.
    Why have you got your testicles hanging out in an office environment in the first place? :lol:
  • suzyb
    Feed comfortably on a surface when sitting upright with thighs horizontal, upper arms vertical and forearms horizontal parallel to and just above the table top?
    No. My neck and butt gets sore. So I lean forward and my back gets sore :wink:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Yes. In so much as I'm working from home. :D
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    And we now have chair adverts at the bottom of the thread ! Looks like my google opt-in has worked :)

Suzyb, it could be posture rather than chair. I've had to work really hard on mine, still have to concentrate to stop me rounding my lower spine out.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    200px-Space-hopperscouk.gif

id happily sit on one of these all day
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • suzyb
    Twostage wrote:
    And we now have chair adverts at the bottom of the thread ! Looks like my google opt-in has worked :)

Suzyb, it could be posture rather than chair. I've had to work really hard on mine, still have to concentrate to stop me rounding my lower spine out.
    I've been trying to sit up straight but my butt is starting to go numb :(

My body was designed to be a sofa tester, or a bed tester.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    I am never sat down long enough(at work) to notice a difference between chairs. Saddles on the other hand are another matter, my brooks has gone from the most comfortable thing going to a chafing, perineum grinding nightmare in the last 18 months. What’s with that?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    Welkman, I think your balls may have dropped. Is your voice any different?
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Now you mention it there has been a change in pitch, and I'm growing hair in strange places. Does this mean I will need to sell the BMX and buy a proper bike?