Knee Warmers?

Orihe
Orihe Posts: 22
edited February 2012 in MTB general
Hey, i'm looking to buy myself some knee warmers as its ruddy cold! Any suggestions on what ones to get?

These are a pair i've been looking at... http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gor ... 3#features

Comments

• theshrew
    theshrew Posts: 169
    I wear 661 pads keep my knees warm as toast mate + protect if you have a off :D
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Knee pads :lol:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've got some Bontrager ones which are pretty good - don't fall down/ride up. They look shorter than those Gore ones though, for better or for worse.

Can recommend Assos leg warmers though, they're toasty warm (more so than equivalently priced tights IME), ! Always wear them on the MTB, as I'd be less devestated if I ripped one that with the tights at 4 times the price!

Only a bit more expensive.
  • Orihe
    Thanks for all the replys, not sure on pads although they do look fancy with the 661 logo on front, its now between the gore bike ones or the Assos knee warmers (off crc)

thanks! :)
  • Depends on your riding, but for general off road riding i still think your bonkers if you don't protect your knees with pads...
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    ^^^^+ 1

makes sense to protect your knees when riding off road.. and knee pads keep your knees warm.. so you get x2 the benefit.. warm safe knees. :wink:
  • njee20
    That's personal though innit! The OP presumably disagrees, or he would have heeded that advice from previous folk!

He is looking to protect them anyway, just not with some bulky plastic things!
  • Orihe
    I can see all your points on the fact its not a bad thing to protect your knees but its mostly just XC i do and do odd trails and have a play on the DH tracks from time to time just need to keep my knees warm lol! They was purple last ride :-) ordered the gore bike ones
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Guy last week went to Aston, came off just on the path leading up to the start of one of the runs. Very much just an XC kind of path. Knee needed stitches. Could have been anywhere really.

Anyway, I know it spoils the look of lycra ;), but if you're more likely just wearing baggies they're great and keep your knees warm not to mention avoid a costly off (while the NHS may pay for treatment, time off work for potentially multiple surgery trips, physio, can't drive, time off the bike, etc, all adds up. Knees are one of the more costly and hassling things to rip up).

No plastic required. 661 Kyle Straits I use. I'm just used to wearing them so tend to wear them all the time apart from maybe a tow path / family trail kind of trundle.
  • Orihe
    Arh i may look into them, and i wear all baggy stuff really intrepid shorts and tld jersey not one for the Lycra but if it keeps you warm :)
  • njee20
    edited February 2012
    Guy last week went to Aston, came off just on the path leading up to the start of one of the runs. Very much just an XC kind of path. Knee needed stitches. Could have been anywhere really.

Friend of mine got hit by a car, hit his head. Are you gonna start wearing a helmet when you walk down the road? :roll:

I just got a paper cut, so now I'm wearing gloves every time I read the paper :roll:

etc

Calculated risk innit, I've got a great scar on my knee, stupid crash, cut it on a flint, got infected, lots of pus and grit came out, would've been completely avoided with pads. Not gonna start wearing them though! If the OP doesn't want to then that's fine!
  • Anonymous
    True, though it's daft to ride Aston anyway without pads anyway, he was just unfortunate (or maybe lucky) to do the damage up front before riding. :D
  • I've got Endura knee warmers. One of the best things I've bought. Now got Endura leg warmers. Even better with my overshoes. Gotta say overshoes are the best thing ever.
  • Orihe
    I'd imagine the overshoes do keep your feet warmer and dryer but i wear 5tens flat peddles are my cuppa, did try clip on peddles within an hour i broke my wrist (no joke)
  • njee20
    True, though it's daft to ride Aston anyway without pads anyway,

I have, and would do again... Why is it daft? Like I say, it's a calculated risk. Plenty of people wear them around the Surrey Hills, I think that's daft. Each to their own!
    I'd imagine the overshoes do keep your feet warmer and dryer but i wear 5tens flat peddles are my cuppa, did try clip on peddles within an hour i broke my wrist (no joke)

Altura do some more relaxed overshoes which may fit 5tens, but would probably be shredded by the pins. :?

I was out in my summer shoes yesterday, and my feet were fine, keep your body warm and your extremities will be alright. That's another thread though!
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    I have, and would do again... Why is it daft
    Many many offs there, landing on amongst many things, my knees. They cost money, especially to the self employed.

That's if you actually do the DH not just the XC.

But yeah, it's a calculated risk. So is not wearing a helmet.

At Aston there's a reason for the armour, pads & full face, but then you could just assume it's because they're all pussies or kids who like to look cool wearing it. Fair enough and indeed each to their own ;)
    Plenty of people wear them around the Surrey Hills, I think that's daft. Each to their own!
    I always wear them around Surrey Hills, but then I don't wear lycra round there :P
  • njee20
    I always wear them around Surrey Hills, but then I don't wear lycra round there

And yet we're riding the same trails, and neither one of us has died, scary really!

I've ridden the DH at Aston Hill (admittedly not for a few years), and Cwmcarn, in lycra, without pads, baggies or a full face, and with my saddle up. I think it's bloody lucky I can still walk frankly! :roll:

Pads are a recent phenomenon, you'd never see a single rider wearing pads up on the Surrey Hills 5 years ago. The riding's not changed, and yet they're now deemed necessary by many. If people think that then fair enough, but let's not get into a petty argument where folk say they're essential, or even a 'common sense' thing.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Once in desperation I cut the sleeves off an old fleece and wore them as knee warmers tucked into the bottom of my undershorts, the silicone grippers stopped them falling down. I looked like a complete tw@t but at least my kneecaps didnt fall off in the minus 5 weather.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • njee20
    Crikey! I'd have just gone home :-)
  • Orihe wrote:
    Hey, i'm looking to buy myself some knee warmers as its ruddy cold! Any suggestions on what ones to get?

These are a pair i've been looking at... http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gor ... 3#features

I bought some leg warmers from Decathlon before xmas, for £14.99 they're ideal and I often wear them out in the Peaks in negative temperatures and the snow 8)

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/leg-warmers-id_5077972.html

Matthew