Highbrow TV? No way!

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Last night was the 3rd of 4 programmes on BBC2: Putin, Russia and the West

I caught the end of the first one, and have watched the next two.

Suffice to say, it's fantastic.

Done in pretty much exactly the same way as the BBC's landmark 'Cold War' documentary series, it takes all the big political players (bar the actual leaders of the bigger countries...) and interviews them to tell the story.

It's fantastic. Straight up, no reconstructions, no channel 4 bullsh!t, just a good old fashioned political history documentary. The kind of stuff that had me buzzing as a kid.

If you haven't watched it, I recommend making some time to watch it in I player or something. It's really very good.

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Saw some of this last night. The Russians come across as an arrogant bunch happy to f*** over another country to make sure NATO doesn't get any bigger. Don't s'pose that makes them much different from anyone else though :(
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I saw most of the first one, thought "This is brilliant!" and haven't seen the rest. I think I'll make a point of iPlayering it.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    Saw some of this last night. The Russians come across as an arrogant bunch happy to f*** over another country to make sure NATO doesn't get any bigger. Don't s'pose that makes them much different from anyone else though :(
    Course they do.

It's Russia.

This is what they do.
  • rick_chasey
    What struck me most was that these Russian diplomats and politicians who seem to be doing jobs like this for years and years seem to be much better at negotiating and geo-political diplomacy than elected Westerners. They seem more experienced, harder, and better at getting what they want (though I am often impressed by the Yanks, believe it or not).

The Brits come across as patchier.