Spoke pulled out of rim.

Sleepycol
Sleepycol Posts: 66
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
A spoke has pulled out of the rim of my Mavic Crossmax SUP taking the grommet with it. Dosn't look like much of the rim is too damaged, just distorted. Anyone had any experience with this and can it be fixed, maybe with a larger grommet?
Interviewer: ‘So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?’

Frank Zappa: ‘You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?”

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sleepycol wrote:
    A spoke has pulled out of the rim of my Mavic Crossmax SUP taking the grommet with it. Dosn't look like much of the rim is too damaged, just distorted. Anyone had any experience with this and can it be fixed, maybe with a larger grommet?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grommet

no grommets on wheels.

what has actually been damaged?

Pics?

I guess you are on about the threaded insert?

most likely a new rim in needed but there may be replacement inserts that could be fitted but most likely a send away to Mavic job.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Be stunned if the rim wasn't dead. Silly money to repair.

Good to see Mavic products constantly improving, my Crossmax USTs did that nearly 10 years ago! :roll:
  • Having taken it all apart now, it is an insert though not threaded. Sorry no pics Nick. It looks like a small tube wit a collar at the top. I can now see that the bit I thought was a grommet is the bit that pulled away from the insert. If I can get a replacement then I should be able to fix it.
    Cheers for the replies.

• nicklouse
    sounds like you may have split it and the rest is in the rim.

but as above. IF fixable it may not be cost effective.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Cheers. May be a new wheel then.

• njee20
    You say Crossmax SUP, is that the pre-2001 style ones with the normal steel spokes? As opposed to the ones with the Zircal bladed alu spokes?

It sounds like the eyelet has pulled out the rim from what you say.

You may be able to track one down in that instance, they were about £80 10 years ago, but may find a shop with NOS.
  • That's the one. Will have a look. Thanks.

• njee20
    May be a more economic repair in that case. I know the shop I used to work in did have one at one point - you could try info@beyondmountainbikes.com - say that Nick Evans suggested it!

Alternatively as it's an 11 year old+ wheel it may be time to retire it :-)
  • Thanks Nick. Will check it out.

• nicklouse
    if it has pulled an eyelet out then i would say the rimm will be dead as it will have ripped/distorted.

but if the eyelet has failed then maybe.... But without seeing it it is hard to say.
  • njee20
    Agreed, I'm talking about replacement rims, but being as they're old stock, and you don't have the daft integrated nipples it's cheaper than rebuilding (say) a current SLR.
  • It is a failed eylet, but it has ripped the hole in the rim on the way out. Bearing in mind the age of the wheel, I have decided to replace. Thank you all for your help and advice guys. Much appreciated.