Mucus

welkman
welkman Posts: 396
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Does really cold weather and long training rides = mucus overload from mouth and nose for anyone else? Is there a biological reason for this reaction?

W

Comments

• Yes there is...
    I have a thing about spitting too, so I spend the whole ride sniffing, wiping my nose on my gloves, or swallowing the stuff.
    I started to write something, but thought Wikipedia would be better.
    And I quote:
    "During cold weather, the cilia, which normally sweep mucus away from the nostrils and toward the back of the throat, become sluggish or completely cease functioning. This results in mucus running down the nose and dripping (a runny nose). Mucus also thickens in cold weather; when an individual comes in from the cold, the mucus thaws and begins to run before the cilia begin to work again."
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I suffer from EIB at this time of year when the air is very cold and dry. Fortunately it's not so bad so is manageable by wearing a buff - the buff gradually gets damp and so the air I am breathing is a bit warmer and a bit damper - most people's idea of a nightmare, but it keeps my lungs happy!

NB.

EIB - Exercised Induced Bronchospasm - basically asthma triggered by heavy exercise in - in my case - cold, dry conditions.

Mucus - lots of it!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    I was like a snot vending machine about 40 miles into last weeks ride. It was litterally flowing out of my nose. The mucus seems to get thinner rather than thicker for me. I aslo got cold and soaked through which may have added to the slime.
  • I thought it was a cool...but ungainly way to keep your face moisturised...
    Would get down on the drops more if the gut wasn't in the way!
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    My nose starts to run as soon as I step outside on even a slightly cold day.

Saves having to take a drink bottle :lol:
  • drawblood wrote:
    I thought it was a cool...but ungainly way to keep your face moisturised...

Especially when you walk into work with a bit in your facial fluff... undid all the hard work with the receptionist :lol:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Thats why you have that flannel bit on your gloves :)