New Bike

henryfuller
henryfuller Posts: 360
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Im looking to spend around £1500, and want best value for money. I don't feel compared to recent times ive looked that you get good value for money on bikes anymore. Apart from this ?

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... 2&id=18207

What do you guys think?
Henry

Comments

• tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    have a look at the canyon bikes great value for money and great range.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    tarbot18 wrote:
    have a look at the canyon bikes great value for money and great range.

+0.5

Canyon, YT Industries, Rose
    The best bang for buck is a direct sale, a direct sale bike for £1500 will be same spec (roughly) as a UK shop bought £3000 bike

I saved so much Money on my Canyon I am on the brink of ordering another. :lol:
  • I agree with tarnot18 that Canyon bikes have great value for money and great range.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    That's a damn good spec for the money and I wonder if anyone had a look before jumping in shouting Canyon. The closest Canyon is probably the Nerve XC 8.0 for £70 more. At least with the focus you can go down to Leisure Lakes or Edinburgh cycles (or anywhere else that stocks Focus) and have a look before buying as that looks like the RRP. Plus, buying from a shop you will have their aftersales support.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    oodboo wrote:
    That's a damn good spec for the money and I wonder if anyone had a look before jumping in shouting Canyon. The closest Canyon is probably the Nerve XC 8.0 for £70 more. At least with the focus you can go down to Leisure Lakes or Edinburgh cycles (or anywhere else that stocks Focus) and have a look before buying as that looks like the RRP. Plus, buying from a shop you will have their aftersales support.
    +1good deal potato
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    oodboo wrote:

If the spec on the picture is anything to be believed. Slightly odd that Leisure Lakes have left chunks of the spec-sheet blank, but you could always give them a call or visit as suggested above to be sure.
  • oodboo
    El Zomba wrote:
    oodboo wrote:

If the spec on the picture is anything to be believed. Slightly odd that Leisure Lakes have left chunks of the spec-sheet blank, but you could always give them a call or visit as suggested above to be sure.

I went by the spec on other sites. Photos don't always represent the actual item.
    Focus Super Bud 3.0

Hey Bud, looking for a full susser with Fox shocks front & rear and a full XT drivetrain?

We honestly don’t know of a better equipped full suspension MTB at this kind of price.

On top of the headline XT / Fox specification, the rest of the equipment isn’t too shabby either. The hubs are Shimano SLX, while Focus’s German connections add Continental Race King folding tyres and Magura M2 hydraulic disc brakes to the magnificent mix.
    Slightly more complete spec list here:
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... bud-3-0-12

Strava
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    oodboo wrote:
    the forks on the focus look like Fox Evolution forks probably with standard QR, so id say the extra £70 for the canyon XC8 with 120mm Fox Performance with fit and 15 QR is probably worth it then, wouldn't you?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    the forks on the focus look like Fox Evolution forks probably with standard QR, so id say the extra £70 for the canyon XC8 with 120mm Fox Performance with fit and 15 QR is probably worth it then, wouldn't you?

Not if the Focus fits you better and is more fun to ride...
  • oodboo
    Horses for courses init. The 100mm forks with the qr might be more suited to the OPs riding style and preferences. Both bikes have their merits and which one is better is really down to the buyer. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Canyon is no good, I was just saying the Focus is just as good value plus the chance to see and try before you buy might be a big selling point to the buyer.

Strava
  • Cheers for the advice guys! Im staying open minded on this one at the moment! you've recommended the canyon.... but is there anything worth looking at?
    Henry
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    oodboo wrote:
    Horses for courses init. The 100mm forks with the qr might be more suited to the OPs riding style and preferences. Both bikes have their merits and which one is better is really down to the buyer. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Canyon is no good, I was just saying the Focus is just as good value plus the chance to see and try before you buy might be a big selling point to the buyer.
    Well if they are the Evo forks on the focus, then really you should be comparing it to the XC7 which is nearly 300 quid cheaper, focus not looking as much of a bargain now is it?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011