New wheelset

dimmockg
dimmockg Posts: 471
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Decided to invest in a new wheelset for my rockhopper expert.

Currently have the stock wheels, stout hubs and dt Swiss 445 rims

I know the obvious choice would be pro 2's and crests, but was actually thinking of say xt hubs and crests

What would the weight be approx on both those wheelsets?

My current set weighs in at an estimated 2100g - 2200g tops

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Which XT hubs are you looking at? ie axle type, and disc mountings?
  • dimmockg
    Be standard q/r axels and 6bolt if possible but I'm aware shimano offer 6 bolt as well as splined, to be fair new discs wouldn't be a problem as mine are a fair while old
  • supersonic
    The 6 bolts are quite old and pretty heavy, a lot heavier than centrelock hubs.

Compared to the Hope, the M775 hubs are about 50g heavier for the pair. (quoted weights)
  • dimmockg
    Thanks for that, so I'm guessing if I went for xt centre locks with crest

I'd save circa:

100g per rim = 200g
    100g approx for hubs?

Not sure on spokes as I'd go for dt Swiss double butted, mine (i think are currently stainless)

So should save in the region of 400g to 1lb???
  • supersonic
    XT centrelock hubs, Crest rims and DB spokes should be circa 1650g.
  • dimmockg
    Thank you very much, certainly a fair bit lighter than my current wheels

Edit *** just priced a set up on merlin with 10% off at just over £200
  • supersonic
    I'd go for the standard ACI DB spokes, are excellent. And cheaper! And lighter!
  • dimmockg
    Oh really? Thanks for the info, I'll re-price

I assume centre locks with discs will work straight away with my avid juicy 4sl
  • supersonic
    They should yes, my Elixirs are fine with them.
  • dimmockg
    green light from SWMBO regarding wheels - so happy with that,

pretty much settled on:

XT 785 hubs (centre lock)
    Stans Crest
    DT Swiss Comp spokes

Can get this set up for around £220 and using DT Swiss spoke calc they come in at around 1677g, which I reckon is some 400g lighter than my current set-up

Or the other alternative is a set of hope hoops - again on Crests

Or is there anything else out there for (ideally) no more than around £280 (ish)
  • supersonic
    Superstar of course, or an XT factory set:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... WHM785.htm

Shimano claim 1625g for the QR set (without QRs themself). With the free rotors is a steel. 10% off listed price too!
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Arrrg, you to quick Supersonic
  • dimmockg
    Can see this not being an easy choice, the xt ones certainly seem a good deal especially with the rotors as that's something I would have had to purchase extra as well.

How close is the weight claim likely to be do you think? Not much in it between all the options really, price and claimed weights are all fairly similar (within around 70g) at around the £230-£280 price
  • supersonic
    They are about 50g more in reality. Still, are a tough, stiff wheelset.
  • kenan
    I ordered the superstars with Flow rins on Friday, when they turn up I'll get em on a scale and let you know how close their weights are to the real thing ;)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    OO, I'd be interested in that too, currently eyeing up new wheels for my commuter/CX and possibly the MTB.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    On the topic of Superstars wheels I got the Tech2 EVO AM/Enduro 135 Switch Wheelset at the beginning of January and have done 250km on them so far in some pretty nasty conditions and they are both still perfectly true and running smooth, in fact they're smoother than new now they're run in. Also they weighed in at 2119g with QR adaptors so 169g heavier than stated but I can live with that and I'm hardly a featherweight anyway. I've heard some aren't built great but I'm more than happy with mine.
  • kenan
    I'm replacing a set of superstar switch hubs with the vapor rims (were 2.2kgs). Had them 2 years, been through a few bearings but still perfectly true even with big dings in the rear rim. Wanted to go tubeless and save some weight hense the new wheels.
  • XT hubs with the Crest rims and DT hubs will be user serviceable and easy to replace spokes.
    Superstar gives you that and the option of switchable hubs,if you end up going 15mm maxlelite.
    XT factory set is a good deal but you are limited to qr and will be more difficult to source spares.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • dimmockg
    Cheers all, after reading up and advice here I'm now leaning toward the superstar set at £220, their switch Evo hubs on crest rims
  • kenan
    Right wheels have arrived, Superstar switch hubs and Stans Flow rims, running 20mm front and 12mm on the rear.

The front comes in @ 914 and the rear @ 1051 = 1965

I then removed the rim tape as I'm going tubeless which brought the weight down to 1920. I'm sure this would be less with the QR adapters. Also glad to say looks like I got a good set, spokes sem good and the wheel seems true. Just need to order the rim tape and valves to set-up the tubeless.
  • dimmockg
    Cheers for the update, that's pretty close to their quoted weights on the website