thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
Skynet was always going to happen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQIMGV5vtd4

Totally amazing! :shock:

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Awesome! When doing obstacle avoidance do you think they argue about who goes first?
  • Am - a - zing.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Awesome! When doing obstacle avoidance do you think they argue about who goes first?
    I think it's all choreographed and they don't even know there's an obstacle or about each other. Or am I just cynical?
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    pst88 wrote:
    Gizmodo wrote:
    I think it's all choreographed and they don't even know there's an obstacle or about each other. Or am I just cynical?

True,as good as it is to watch and admire the work i really enjoyed it,but there is no independent thought going on here,it's good fun to imagine though and i'm sure the military is already on a more advanced level than this.
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    I think there's a lot more going on than meets the eye. If you look up high around the edges of the room you'll see lots of sensors (they look a bit like cameras/lights) these are also used for motion capture with actors (Avataar etc). So my guess is that the position of the copters and all the objects are contantly being monitored and the copters are then flown very accurately by computers.
  • LOL - of course they're flown by computers - they're pre programmed by boffins. They are however aware of each other like quite a lot of semi AI robots.

It's just a cool video that looks a bit Terminator.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I dont think they'll be aware of each other in the slightest.

Its pre-programmed flight, with something going on in the room sensor-wise so they know where they are in the room. One wont be aware of the next one or anything like that, they'll be 'thick'. If there were enough clear RF frequencies they could use, and more of the copters at more cost I can see no reason why you couldnt do the same sorts of things with loads and loads more of them.

Theyve probably been cost restricted and at least gone to an amount that looks impressive.

Those are my guesses.

----EDIT----

Not so sure now!!!! ...look at this one where one flies through a hoop thrown in its path!! :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geqip_0Vjec&feature=related