Cheap Stem, any problems?

smokymcjoe
smokymcjoe Posts: 34
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi i'm looking for a shorter stem for my boardman pro
[url][/url]

the bike came standard with a 130mm, looking to replace it with a 70mm,

however as brands like hope, thompson, etc are all £60 plus, thinking of trying an unknown brand from ebay.

anyone have any experience with lesser brands just to try, if i like the setup i would purchase a brand one later if required.

just dont want to buy a pos! :roll:

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    see carboncycles.cc or superstar components, or on one, or just go on CRC/wiggle and sort by price.

They're all fine, lighter ones might be marginally stiffer and will be a bit lighter, but none are prone to snapping.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • appreciate it, cheers bails. ;-)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    define lesser.
    and it is unlikely to be unknown.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Oops, i meant more expensive ones might be stiffer, not lighter ones.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ebay is worth trawling. Found a new in box 70mm KCNC Bear Arm for £10 posted.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I got a £13 superstar one and for the price its great...no problems and seems stiff enough for trails/XC Use, definitely recommend it :)
    Swveeeet¡¡¡
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Exotic/OnOne/copies asre just as good as Thomson and Hope in my eyes. The latter are long in the tooth now, were good when they came out 12 years ago, but way overpriced now.
  • I fitted on of these to my 'hopper in the summer;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11614

90mm - but a bargain I think you'll agree
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Also don't write off bikehut ones, the bikehut that came on my daughters is identical to the on-one one I have on my commuter....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    True Bikehut stuff is ok. Found a set of bars in their sale bucket once for 99p. Now on their third bike - light, stiff and more than adequate.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Stem is probably one of the last things I'll spend money on upgrading (or at least a lot of money). As long as it's the right length/rise then it's fine. I have a cheapy truvativ one that's lasted me a few years, which came second hand on a used bike that I bought, it's been on 4/5 bikes since then and it's been fine. No point selling it as it's not worth much, but it does the job. I can't really justify spending £60+ on something that does the same job but looks a bit more blingy.

I also have a pro FRS stem which I think was around £35, and looks really good for a cheap-ish stem.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic wrote:
    The Exotic/OnOne/copies asre just as good as Thomson and Hope in my eyes. The latter are long in the tooth now, were good when they came out 12 years ago, but way overpriced now.

The Exotic stems get a vote from me too. They're cheap, light and look good enough, I'd quite happily use their stuff again on one of my other bikes.