Orange 5 Black Gold or standard Orange 5 Pro????

nalaknip
nalaknip Posts: 14
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I currently have a 2011 Canyon Nerve XC 5.0 but after seeing the special edition Orange 5 Black Gold I thought I must have this bike. It comes in at £2699 which is £100 under a standard Orange 5 Pro price. They appear to have upgraded the front and rear shock with Kashima coating but have downgraded a number of components. Anyone have any thoughts on whether to stump the extra ton and go with the standard or go with the special edition.

Here are the links for both bikes

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/five_black-gold/

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/five_pro/

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stick with what you have and save even more. IMHO of course.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 0-11-40125
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yeah cheers, I totally understand about the fact I, judging by the reviews have a cracking bike but it's just too big for me. At the time of buying and receiving the bike there was a lot of confusion over the 30 day return guarantee. Problem is I'm 6.2 but Ive short legs for a tall person and I've probably fell foul of the buying direct from manufacturer problem.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    If you must spend your money, something else.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    have a cracking bike

quite literally if you go for a 5

if you set your heart on a change then have a good look around at other bikes to before you commit.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If you want to spend >£2500 then get this or this in the size down from your current bike.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87
    nalaknip wrote:
    Problem is I'm 6.2 but Ive short legs for a tall person and I've probably fell foul of the buying direct from manufacturer problem.

Sounds to me like you'd need a bigger frame, to increase the 'reach', given you've got a long body.
    MTB/CX

• oodboo
    If you have to have the orange though get in quick and get the black gold special edition. Upgrades to the suspension and the maxle rear end would sell it to me. The rest can be upgraded as things wear out.

Strava
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Out of those two the special edition is the better deal.

Not sure they have downgraded anything plus they have finally fitted wider rims.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nalaknip wrote:
    it's just too big for me.

why do you think this?

what size is it?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    If you must buy an Orange five, then my quicky liftetime value assessment of the two says the Black-gold is the one to go for. Why you would buy one is beyond me however.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Pah - don't just listen to all the Orange 5 haters :roll: :lol:

Mine has done me proud on everything from downhill runs in the Alps to xc racing (and everything in-between). If I could only have one bike, this would be it. They are fantastically capable bikes :D

And please don't dismiss me as some rubbish girlie that doesn't know what she's talking about - I ride a lot and my bikes take a proper battering, they are not just ridden along canal paths once a month!! :wink::lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • bails87
    miss notax wrote:

Mine has done me proud on everything from downhill runs in the Alps to xc racing (and everything in-between). If I could only have one bike, this would be it. They are fantastically capable bikes :D

And please don't dismiss me as some rubbish girlie that doesn't know what she's talking about - I ride a lot and my bikes take a proper battering, they are not just ridden along canal paths once a month!! :wink::lol:
    But it's not as if the Orange 5 is the only bike that can do that, is it?
    MTB/CX

• miss notax
    Not at all :D

But it's what I ride (and have chosen to ride for a few years)..... If we were having this conversation about cars I would be recommending my car too!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• nicklouse wrote:
    nalaknip wrote:
    it's just too big for me.

why do you think this?

what size is it?

It's an XL(22)
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    bails87 wrote:
    miss notax wrote:

I see what your trying to do but it's an ill conceived statement.

You can do most things on a unicycle.

You really need to understand it's the rider not the bike. :roll:
  • miss notax wrote:
    If I could only have one bike, this would be it.

One bike to rule them all huh?

Spesh Enduro, innit :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • miss notax
    :lol::lol:

• oodboo
    miss notax wrote:
    If I could only have one bike, this would be it.

One bike to rule them all huh?

Spesh Enduro, innit :wink:

Hell yeah! :D

Strava
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    /\ what they said :D
  • bails87
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    miss notax wrote:

I see what your trying to do but it's an ill conceived statement.

You can do most things on a unicycle.

You really need to understand it's the rider not the bike. :roll:
    I honestly have no idea what you're talking about!
    Just because miss notax likes her bike doesn't mean the same bike is right for the OP. Especially if the Nerve XC was the right type of bike in the first place.
    MTB/CX

• Just ordered the black gold, can't wait. Going from a Specialized FSR comp 2006 to the orange. Will let you know what it's like but there isnt many left. Sunset Mtb seem to be one of the few who have any left
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    nalaknip wrote:
    It's an XL(22)
    That was always going to be too big!

For interest, I am 5'10" but have short legs (I'm taller sitting down than my 6'1" mate!), I ride a 16" and just have the saddle back on the rails (within the marks still) and keep to a not to short stem (lucky my arm length matches my leg length not my torso!), I would have thought an 18" or possibly a 20" max would be what you wanted assuming the front triangle proportions were vaguely similar to mine.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Bout to say, I wouldn't recommend the OP for my bike, its big heavy and viscious, personally i'd ride nothing else, and as it turns out from the general thread i'm one of the few who have test rode all the bikes i could to make sure too.

Most important thing to figure is, what are you going to do with the bike, and pretty much how much what are you going to do,

Ie for me i want to XC and do some play DH, but through the summer i DH every weekend virtually so this is my focus, therefor i have a heavier 160 bike thats still air so i can about slog up a few hills :P this isn't for everyone.

I personally didnt get on with the organge i owned (Hard tail second bike a few years back), or test rode (orange 5) but this is personal. Seriously just get on as many bikes as you can! there so diferent it wil shock you!
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    If you have your heart set on it then why not. I'm sure we can always relate to the feeling of "needing" something; so as long as you can afford it and it's not going to drag you and your family in to poverty then I'd say go for it.

My only two pieces of advice would be: try it first, it's a lot of cash to drop on something blind. Secondly, why not buy the frame and build it up yourself? The frame comes in at £1400 on its own, leaving you £1300 to spec it (and spec it nicely.)
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity