Rear shock help

SebSmith
SebSmith Posts: 20
edited February 2012 in MTB beginners
Hello Bike radar users,
I was wondering if i could get a rear shock bigger then what my bike fits and wether there is an adapter to make it fit?
So for example my bike uses 165mm rear shock can i get a larger one and get an adapter to fit it onto the bike ?
Thanks SebSmith

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    in a word. from the info provided.

No.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • oh :(
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Why do you ask?

do you want to increase the travel of your bike?

If so, that's set by the frame design, not the shock.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    you could either fit a larger shock without adaptor, you could get an adaptor and a larger shock, you could get an adaptor without a new shock, or none of the above. Depends on the bike.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    And one must also consider the fact that a bigger shock could also give less travel.

It could also make the bike unrideable.

But as yet ESP. Does not work who knows what the OP is thinking of trying to do.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • If you tell us what bike you have, what shock you have and what you are hoping to achieve you will probably get an answer - as it is your original question doesn't give enough info to help....
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yes it'll definately work, if you've got one of the bikes it'll work with. If not, then I would advise against it. It is a Mystery.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At a guess he has a Giant Yukon FX3 2010
    viewtopic.php?t=12826122

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.