RockShox Recon Silver TK (Solo Air) w/ 1.5" steerer

cframe
cframe Posts: 171
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey there everyone,

So I've managed to go and buy the above fork, not realising at the time that it had a 1.5" steerer which naturally is a bit bit for the 1 1/8" head tube on my XTC.

I guess what I'm looking for is any advice on whether there's anything I could do aside from straight up selling it. I'd considered looking for a replacement stanchion with the right size steerer on it but one of my mates pointed out that that could easily run to about £150!

I guess if I gotta sell it, I gotta sell it!

Cheers,
c.
How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what headset does the frame take?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cframe
    Good question!

It's an XTC 4 2009 (http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bi ... ons_id%3D4) which according to this post on Singletrack means it's semi-integrated http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/headset-help-5

Do you think there's a chance I could switch out the headset instead?
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Based on the information you have provided, your headset falls into the following standard:

SHIS:ZS44/28.6|ZS44/30 (1-1/8" Zero Stack ZS Standard)

This is what Cane Creek said based upon a Giant XTC2 2009
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • cframe
    Ahh, so no chance of getting a 1.5" headset instead then, doh.

Man there's too many options these days! 1 1/8", tapered, 1.5" my wee head can't take it all in!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cframe wrote:

Man there's too many options these days! 1 1/8", tapered, 1.5" my wee head can't take it all in!
    All three?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    cframe wrote:

there is.

you need to find the external cups that fint in the ZS headtubes.

they out there but.....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Let me know if you wanna sell em.
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    I think that the SHIS is a little too complicated, and finding the correct headset for the purpose is still a challenge.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • cframe
    Cheers for all of the help guys, I'm gonna have a look at the bike and fork again over the weekend to see if the head tube is even big enough to take the steerer before looking about for a new headset.

@woodytitan - I'll let you know for sure if I'm getting no joy with it.
  • nicklouse
    cframe wrote:
    Cheers for all of the help guys, I'm gonna have a look at the bike and fork again over the weekend to see if the head tube is even big enough to take the steerer before looking about for a new headset.

@woodytitan - I'll let you know for sure if I'm getting no joy with it.

it is.
  • cframe
    So if I read it right, I should be able to get one of the new Nukeproof Warhead headsets like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=55505 and maybe with a wee bit of modding it's possible to run a 1.5" steerer on a std head tube.

This blog post seems to have good info after a bit of trawling http://blog.sidewayscycles.co.uk/2011/0 ... d-headset/
  • nicklouse
    that headset is all you need PRESUMING that the head tube is straight and not waisted. IE the steerer will pass through.
  • cframe
    Basically where I'm at is - put together something that works by buying the Nukeproof headset and a new stem or sell it on and look around for a form with a standard 1 1/8" steerer.

Right now I'm leaning towards the selling option, @woodytitan I'll drop you a DM once I've decided if you're still interested?
  • No worries let me know if your flogging em, i'm heading north for work in next couple of weeks so could meet up. Leave it with you bud. What colour are they White or Black??
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3
  • cframe
    They're the white ones
  • Let me know if you flogging em
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3
  • What length travel are they?? Should've asked that from the start!!
    Will be in Glasgow week after next if your interested let me know.
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3
  • I'm selling the recon silver tk off my 2012 xtc 2 if you are interested.
  • woodytitan
    woodytitan Posts: 163
    Well what an excellent thread hijack, I have just got the dale back from the LBS with Colin's oversized forks fitted!!! Look belting will send you some pics Colin.

Hope you've had some joy your end, never done any better business in a pub carpark in Glasgow!!

Woody
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3