Weather 3 years ago today

veronese68
veronese68 Posts: 27,773
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
I took this picture on my way to work 3 years ago today. I've had it as my screen wallpaper to remind me how lucky we've been with the weather this year. The temperature may have been similar but it was a bright clear day and a great ride through the park today.DSC00090-1.jpg

Comments

• I want that now!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I would agree with KB - I love the snow, and would normally say 'bring it on'.

However, every time we get a heavy snowfall seems to coincide with a trip away - last year I got stuck in Geneva and Nice as on both occasions flights into the UK were stuffed!

I'm in Rome next week, so the snow should hold off until 14th, then do it's worst!
  • veronese68
    It is fun for a couple of days. But I don't ride along that road I cross it on a path. I emerge by the sign post on the left and carry on the direction the bike is facing. After the first couple of days the snow has frozen solid but with lots of holes from footsteps so it is really hard going. Obviously it never gets cleared or gritted apart from the tiny bit by the signpost as that is the entrance to a house that some park official lives in.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    nice!

i love riding in the snow but as has already been said as soon as it freezes its lethal, although he roads are generally empty
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    When we had the good ol' freeze last year there were a few days when me and mah fixeh were about the only things moving. :-D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I love you bike! What Marin is it?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I remember when it started snowing: halfway round the HOTA sportive. chilleh
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • veronese68
    medoramas wrote:
    I love you bike! What Marin is it?
    It's a '97 Nail Trail. I really like it. I've had it from new. I nearly sold it last year as I bought another MTB with hydraulic discs for a price that couldn't be refused.
    Thankfully I managed to get it a reprieve by buying the EPO a new pair of boots. It's back on rigid forks now and used as a hack. But it's a hack that rides really well.
  • Great snap.
    The mighty Vulcan sits here on its Marathon Winters, waiting for the chance to play in similar conditions.
    But my fingers - something's happened to them since last year, frozen these days within about 10 minutes. Still, as someone said, bring it on.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JonGinge wrote:
    I remember when it started snowing: halfway round the HOTA sportive. chilleh

This was NOT a happy memory for some.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Great snap.
    The mighty Vulcan sits here on its Marathon Winters, waiting for the chance to play in similar conditions.
    But my fingers - something's happened to them since last year, frozen these days within about 10 minutes. Still, as someone said, bring it on.

Good you didn't sell it! :)
    I build my Marin last Summer - '93 Indian Fire Trail, on rigid forks and I love it to bits! Slicks on - it's my commuter, fat rubbers - it's my trails monster ;)

Regarding the weather - it was first time this Winter when I actually saw a bit of ice on a road! Last year and before it was bloody nightmare... I hope it will not come back! ;)
  • veronese68
    I was going to buy some studded tyres for the Marin. I might still do so, eventually I will use them.
  • That's what I put on front this morning. I think it was actually me who made this Winter so mild - having lessons in the past years that I definitely needed some studded tyres I bought one last September to say big "ffo kcuf" to all the frosts, ice and minus 10 temperatures. And the only time I used it was to bed the studs in :-\ If I didn't buy it we'd have bloody Ice Age two moths ago, I tell you!
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I remember it well...

Houses of Parliament

4576508750_38a8f64a6c.jpg

View from the office

4576514144_1b53610b39.jpg
  • veronese68
    I love that shot of HoP. Very nice.
    I was in a bit of a rush as I was at work when I posted. Should I have just resized even smaller so I could get all of the front wheel visible in my post? I scaled it back to about half size. I should have more of a fiddle next time.
  • I'm happy that the snow stays away - had enough already this winter. -5C this morning. It's been so dry that I could probably get away without Spikers but I don't think I'll take that risk.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    I'm happy that the snow stays away - had enough already this winter. -5C this morning. It's been so dry that I could probably get away without Spikers but I don't think I'll take that risk.
    Blimey, it was -5 in my back garden when I got up and you live next to the North Pole.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I love that shot of HoP. Very nice.
    I was in a bit of a rush as I was at work when I posted. Should I have just resized even smaller so I could get all of the front wheel visible in my post? I scaled it back to about half size. I should have more of a fiddle next time.

My biggest regret from that day was not getting a shot with my bike in. Such a rookie error. I remember it was pretty hairy getting along the road. The snow was either soft powder or compacted and really slippy. I also remember seeing a guy on a BSO try to turn in the soft snow while riding 1 handed and talking on his phone. He wasn't very successful :lol:
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Great snap.

If it's of interest, Maplin have heated gloves (batteries in cuff) reduced to £15.
    I also seem to be afflicted by late-onset Raynaud's.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I'm happy that the snow stays away - had enough already this winter. -5C this morning. It's been so dry that I could probably get away without Spikers but I don't think I'll take that risk.
    Blimey, it was -5 in my back garden when I got up and you live next to the North Pole.

We're actually doing quite well this week relative to the rest of the UK. There are times when being so close to the sea helps (it's only 50 miles to the sea on the west coast too) Looks like next week is going to be a lot milder. Fingers crossed that it's Volagi weather...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH