best HT for a 6'4'' guy under £,1000

JonnyFIVE
JonnyFIVE Posts: 2
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
hi all,

i hate joining a forum and my first post asking for help/advice but hopefully this will be my first of many posts.

i've joined the cycle to work scheme and have £1k to spend on a bike.

i live on a farm and tbh it'll mainly be used for trials and thrashing up and down becks and fields, but i'll use it to ride to work every so often.

im looking for the best HT bike thats feels good to ride long distances and is also good at steep climbs.

i'm gutted the boardman's dont do an XL ( he's 6'2 for flips sake) in their HT range and they look brillaint and the reviews look spot on.

i've been looking at:
whyte 805,
Specialized Rockhopper SL,
TREK 6500 Disc,
MARIN Palisades Trail,
Cannondale Trail SL2,
Ghost SE-5000
Ghost HTX 29 Actinum,
Specialized Carve Comp 29er
GT Karakoram 1 29er

to name afew.

my heads blown haha. :shock:

any advice would be wicked as i havent a clue and i want to get it right.

cheers guys,

JD

Comments

• I recently bought a Whyte905 in XL for £800 second hand. Awesome bike in a proper size. Can definitely recommend Whytes.
    2011 Whyte 905
    1990s Orange Clockwork
  • rob.m
    rob.m Posts: 89
    edited February 2012
    Hi mate, I would definitely recommend a 29er to you. And you can't normally go wrong with Specialized.
    It's never too late to become what you might have been...........
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I'm 6'4" and I have a Specialized Hardrock in XL size - it fits almost perfectly, apart from the stem seeming a bit long (I have a shorter one on the way). I may possibly have been able to get by with a size smaller, but there's just the chance that the bars would be too low then
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You will get as many suggestions as there are bikes probably.
    Pick a few you can test and try them out. Then post spec/models here and see comments.
    Otherwise get the one that fits/feels good.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you tried the L Boardman? Geo varies so much, don't fall into the trap that you are an XL in everything, there are far taller riders on the trails! Nor that you need a 29er.
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    supersonic wrote:
    Have you tried the L Boardman? Geo varies so much, don't fall into the trap that you are an XL in everything, there are far taller riders on the trails! Nor that you need a 29er.

+1

Im 6"4" and own an XL Whyte 801. Its great for XC but on the really twisty nasty stuff I would be better off with a smaller frame. Dont forget a smaller frame is going to be lighter too.
  • mattrgee
    mattrgee Posts: 157
    I'm 6' 1" and a bit and found the 'large' Boardman far too small. It looked liked a kids bike.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This is why you need to try them, height is only a rough guide. You may have longer arms or legs than a taller person, so many variables. I am 6ft and ride frames sizes from 14" to 21" and they all fit!