Black grease on my chain?

justintga
justintga Posts: 58
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Hi there.

I'm facing a bit of a dilemma here. Every time I send my bike into the LBS to get something serviced or repaired (twice for wheel truing, once for a snapped chain), they coat my chain with a thick black substance that is unlike the lube I usually use on my chain. I usually remove all of the black stuff the next time I'm doing some self servicing or bike cleaning and relubricate it with some Muc Off which doesn't leave my chain all black and sticky.

Is the stuff they put on my chain actually good? And should I not remove it?

Comments

• warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    have you tried askign them not to lube your chain ??
  • nope. im just wondering if the stuff is good for my chain. maybe it is seeing as it is a proper LBS.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    probably better than using muc off though.
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Probably aerosol can chain lube.
  • So its fine to leave it on? It seems like its very thick and I always thought that the chain should feel dry-ish with only the link connections lubed (one drop per link, wipe off excess) and all of that?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Ask them what it is. One LBS that I used swore that GT85 was the finest and only chain lube necessary. Chain had a good clean and proper lube when I got home.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Forgive me for saying this but why not service the bike yourself? Plenty of online guides and advice on here. Save yourself loads of money and have the satisfaction of knowing you done the job properly using the products you prefer. After all it's only a cycle not a car or motorbike so very little to cock up. Apart from wheel truing I've managed to learn how to do any job on the bike I own and I'm hardly a mechanical wizzkid.
  • markos1963 wrote:
    Forgive me for saying this but why not service the bike yourself? Plenty of online guides and advice on here. Save yourself loads of money and have the satisfaction of knowing you done the job properly using the products you prefer. After all it's only a cycle not a car or motorbike so very little to fool up. Apart from wheel truing I've managed to learn how to do any job on the bike I own and I'm hardly a mechanical wizzkid.

I do. Ive only had my bike in 3 times in 4 years. Twice for wheel truing and once for a snapped chain (I needed to buy the chain anyway). I go so infrequently that I keep forgetting to ask about the lube that they are using on my chain. After a few days I usually accidentally brush something against my chain then notice the black stuff and go "Oh not again..." and leave it on till the next self service.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    A snapped chain?? That must be one of the easiest DIY jobs going!

Are you sure they are putting black stuff on your chain, or is it just something like wet lube that's picked up muck and gone black by the time you first notice it? I only ask cos I can't think of any black lubricants apart from treacle. Or possibly used motor oil.
  • Haha well when I went into the shop to buy a chain they put in on for me for free. Can't say no to that. And yes I am sure. It is like usually just 2 days after with just some commuting. Chains don't get dirty so quickly. After I lube my chain, it feels dry-ish but after they lube it it feels like there is black grease all over.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My bet is it's Finish Line Wet Lube, which is dark green when freshly applied, but it's so sticky it can easily go black in 2 days. Though they must be applying way too much by the sound of it.
  • Sounds like they are using the old "used engine oil as lube" trick
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    keef66 wrote:
    My bet is it's Finish Line Wet Lube, which is dark green when freshly applied, but it's so sticky it can easily go black in 2 days. Though they must be applying way too much by the sound of it.

wot he said!
    i need more bikes
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    why did he say wot?