rear mech options (sram 1:1)

arfoll
arfoll Posts: 5
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have an older bike with an 8 speed SRAM cassette, 8 speed X9 rear mech & 8 speed SRAM X4 shifters. I bent my rear mech fairly badly on my last ride and I'd like to swap it with something better, was thinking something with a carbon cage like an X7/X9 to avoid further bending.

However I'd also like to go 2x10 (instead of 3x8) eventually, just don't really want to spend the money on the whole kit right now, so was thinking of getting a 2x10 X7/X9 rear mech and using it with the current setup. It's 1:1 actuation so if I set the mech right it should be able to work no? Or am i pushing it and should keep to a 9 speed mech that should be able to fit...

Otherwise its kind of expensive to go for all new shifters, front/rear mechs, cranks, cassette and chain all at once...

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    10 speed must be used with a 10 speed SRAM rear mech. 1:1 and Exact Actuation are two different things, and the cable pull from 9 speed to 10 speed is different.

9 speed SRAM X5 mechs are about 27 quid.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    And if you go for carbon cage for it's no-bending capabilities, you may be surprised...
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • supersonic wrote:
    10 speed must be used with a 10 speed SRAM rear mech. 1:1 and Exact Actuation are two different things, and the cable pull from 9 speed to 10 speed is different.

Thanks, I now realise I'd also need a new shifter for the 10 speed mech. Question is would I need anything else? Is my 8 speed chain/cassette good with the 10 speed mech? (worried about the jockey wheel teeth on the 8 speed chain). If however I went to a 9speed would i not even have to change the shifter (obviously i'd still only have 8 speeds)?

I'm well aware of carbon composite bending or lack of ;-) But the quality of the metal (guessing aluminium) on the X5 must truly be terrible to have bent that much on a few fairly small falls, so i'm hoping the carbon hanger would not have snapped in such conditions. It seems all the higher end mechs use them so they can't be too weak.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All the ten speed stuff must match - cassette, shifter and mech. Though 9 speed chains will work.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    arfoll wrote:
    so i'm hoping the carbon hanger would not have snapped in such conditions. It seems all the higher end mechs use them so they can't be too weak.

Hangers are part of the frame and nothing to do with the Mech. the Hanger is what the Mech attaches to.

X9 was never an 8spd rear mech. it was launched as 9spd but will work with 8spd.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mech hangers are supposed to bend or break, to prevent the same thing happening to the frame.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    He meant carbon cage on the mech, not hanger. I say, if you managed to bend an aluminium one, you will probably break carbon cage.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • 386ka wrote:
    He meant carbon cage on the mech, not hanger. I say, if you managed to bend an aluminium one, you will probably break carbon cage.

Yes, i meant the cage, excuse my bad explanations. Maybe carbon is a bad idea, I'm just not so keen on another X5. Guess i could swap to shimano at the same time - would you guys say shimano stuff is better than sram at that kind of price range?

So, if i went 10 speed and changed shifter/rear mech/chain/cassette, i'd be ok running my old front mech & chainrings (its an sram truvativ with 3 rings, but i never use the bottom one - and guess i shouldnt to not bend the 10sp chain).
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    new front mech really.

sram shimano is personal. some like one some hate one.

they all break and fail in one way or another.

just replace what is broken and check that it is not the hanger that is bent rather than the mech.
    If the whole set up is worn and needs replacing. (which if the crank rings are OK then i would guess not).

Guessing that you will not bend a 10spd chain is mad as it is thinner than a 9spd which is also thinner than an 8spd.

have a think about what you want to do and why? compared to what you need to do to get riding.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cooldad wrote:
    Mech hangers are supposed to bend or break, to prevent the same thing happening to the frame.
    Which is making me think of swapping the X0 on mine for something cheap and only bring the X0 out for show - or sell it!

Thinking if I do anything crazy like the Mega and they advise spare mechs, no way a £150 mech is going to sit on there!

Edit: though that's mech rather than hanger, but same principle. They bend & break in favour of something else more expensive.