Front wheel washing out - Tyre advice please

phil_pompey
phil_pompey Posts: 153
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Ok, So I always used continental tyres when I used to ride years ago so thought I was best sticking to what i know (or at least thought I knew). On my new bike I fitted a pair of Continental Mountain King 2.0 (MK1's I think) and took my bike for its first offroad spin down a flat twisting stretch of bridal track that I've ridden hundreds of times before. The Top surface was soft mud but the under surface is chalky (As are most of the tracks in east yorkshire).

On the very first corner my front end slid out and that sapped my confidence for a track that I can usually fly along. The the back tyre was great, clearing the mud brilliantly so I am happy with that choice but my question is this;

Can someone recommend an alternative front tyre (Especially if you use them on a similar surfaces)?
Ideally folding bead.

My budget is around £20 - £30

So far I was thinking:
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/speciali ... 48050.html
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=53602

Any opinions on these
Cheers,

Phil

Sintesi 707

Comments

• sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    New to this myself but started with maxxis aspens (i think) on a 29er which I hated, moved to nevegals which were great and on my latest machine is 26" and I have nobby nics which again are pretty grippy in the mud.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As many opinions as there are tyres.
    Mine - Maxxis Ignitor Exception series.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The maxxis tyres do seem to get good reviews, especially when the going gets soft.

I considered the Nobby nics/racing ralphs at the start but the tread looks quite low profile that I thought might not be so good in the winter conditions.

Grrr, so many choices! That's why I thought I'd stick to what I know but I was wrong.
    Cheers,

Phil

Sintesi 707
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    one thing though minons are a very slow rolling tyre they really do drag,, ardent aint as bad, but again they not the fastest rolling tyre out there...

i used bony mud x before these are really good in sloppy muddy conditions and rool really well. not very good on wet roots or wet rock though.. and on hard pack ground you can feel the knobs flexing and squirming which can be unnerving..
  • delcol wrote:
    one thing though minons are a very slow rolling tyre they really do drag,, ardent aint as bad, but again they not the fastest rolling tyre out there...

I moved from michelin Dry X2 to maxxis minions (42a single front, 60a dual rear) for the winter, and they are very slow rolling. However if like me you value muddy trails more than speed they're great.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Minions aren't that slow rolling really, depends what compound you get. I'd put a minion on the front for muddy conditions like you describe. I use Maxxis advantages all year round and in pretty much all conditions however and they suit me fine. They don't have tonnes of grip in mud, however if you get used to a less grippy tyre, it will improve your bike handling skills.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • What pressure are you running up front on the MK?

For the reccord, I run a 2.35 Nevegal stick-E at about 30-35 psi and it sticks to pretty much everything I throw it into.

Tyre choice is so personal though, its a minefield. As a guide for a front tyre, larger tread, tyre width or shape, lower pressure and softer compound should all alter grip (to a degree). but riding style and personal preference can play as big a part.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just chalk or clay?

Mud tyres are not universal and will work with some types of mud and not others and some conditions are just tough to deal with whatever the tyre. Recent trip to Aston in the wet clay proved that to those with mud tyres that were plain useless as much as any other.

Anyway, Minions and High Rollers aren't mud tyres. Minions in particular do cut through certain types of mud very well however, but some kinds of soupy gloop they just suck the mud and coat the tyre turning it into a slick, as I found with wet clay.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Top layer of slime on harder surface below is common round where I am and I find Panaracer Fire XC pro cope really well, although I have a Fire mud for the back when it gets gloopier, similar to the Bonty Mud (probably not quite as good) but I got mine at a price too good to turn down!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CFS
    CFS Posts: 124
    I switched my front Mountain King for the same reason. It wasn't even very good in dusty conditions.

I have found the High Roller to be a good front tyre in a variety of conditions. I've had good experiences with Nevegals and Panaracer Fire too.
    Shot by both sides...
  • I had the same problem with the Specialized Resolutions on my 'hopper loosing traction on loose, dusty trails in the Alps last summer

Changed the front tyre to a Schwable Nobby Nic (and the rear to a Racing Ralph) - problemo solved.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like the new bike syndrome.

just ride it and you will adjust to the new bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown