Shimano disk brake banjo compatibility

arturo_belano
arturo_belano Posts: 65
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm replacing an xtr caliper with a new slx one. The new one hasn't come with the banjo bolt that bolts the line into the caliper, and it clearly takes a different type bolt to the existing xtr one I have, it needs a longer one.

Looking around I can see where I can order one of these bolts, but my question is do I also need a different banjo, line and olives? Cos that would be a bit of a ballache. Is it just the bolt that is different or is it the entire line? Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The bolt should be the same as used on the hose.

They are not caliper specific. But you may need a new banjo and bolt to suit n caliper.

Any shimano dealer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    I don't think there has been any change in the banjo end of the hose, nor the o-rings. It's just the bolt that changed recently. As you've noticed, it's now a much longer bolt that goes through the entire width of the caliper. The the part of the bolt that presses against the o-ring and banjo is the same size (it only needs to cover the o-ring doesn't it).

If in doubt, get a new hose kit, such as the BH90 (or whatever is equivalent to SLX). This will come with the longer bolt.

However, I recently replaced my hoses with BH90 kits (on M965 calipers) and they installed fine with the existing banjo bolts. The only thing I can't be totally sure on is whether the flow of mineral oil through the old type bolt is equivalent to the new type hose, bolt and caliper. What I mean is, the 'bore' of the hole in the old type bolt, compared to the new type. Mine works brilliantly, but Shimano will obviously tell you to buy the correct hose kit for the new design of caliper.

Oh, if you do get new hose kits, the nut may be too short for your older levers and the rubber sleeve won't be compatible. Shimano also changed the olive insert, which may or may not be related to the design of levers. I actually changed to M988 levers when I replaced my hoses, so this wasn't a concern for me.
  • Cheers - I've ordered just the long bolt and I'll see how I get on with that. I'm actually using some old dual control xt levers which I quite like, so if new hose wasn't compatible with them it really would be bobbins.
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    I'm sure the new type bolt will be fine with the older model hose/banjo.

I had those same levers and they were awsome, and built like a tank.