Off on the ice today :(

monkeycowboy
monkeycowboy Posts: 186
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
It all started last night. I ride along cycle route 10 between Portishead and Clevedon and have done for some years, there's a short stretch, maybe quarter of a mile long that's down a slight hill, bend at the bottom which is always wet, even at the height of summer. So I lodged a report on the CTC pot hole website thing-a-mijig last night, this is it all went wrong... cursed by the p******* fairies relative the ice fairy.

So, woke up errmed and arred about getting ready and decided to go, my phone weather app saying -1C. First 3 miles, roads clear, no ice and I was enjoying the crisp weather.
Then, I got to the spot that I had reported the night before, it was like an ice rink, I was expecting the ice to some degree but hadn't shaved enough speed off and was bumping along on my fixed at about 15mph, then I was bumping along at about 15 on my ar5e. Got up, dusted my self down, straightened my bike out and a car came skidding down the hill behind me. The nice woman driving asked if I was ok, remarked about how bad the particular stretch of road is and went on her way. I slipped and slid off the ice rink to solid ground (think Bambi), checked myself over.... ripped Assos 3/4 lengths, and a throbbing hip :cry: Mounted my bike, 20 metres down the road and I was off again! Doh!

The rest of the route was clear dry roads, not one spot of ice.

Ive since reported the stretch of road directly on North Somerset's council website, I think that there is either some run off issues with the adjacent fields, or perhaps a cattle trough that's constantly overflowing. Ive also convinced myself that I need some ice tyres.... but they wont fit on the fixed as 25mm's only just fit with mudguards.... so <del>maybe</del>I need another bike?

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Sorry to hear about your off's but nice "new bike" link :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    edited February 2012
    Ouch! Is the bike and your arse OK?

Get a cheap/2nd hand rigid and fit Snow Studs, the're the cheapest of the Spiky tyres but they work well on icy days. You feel it going then the studs grab the ice and you OK.

The CTC Pothole reporting thing seems to work, I've had two holes filled and two 20-30m sections re-surfaced following submitted reports. It's great riding through the sections when the're getting fixed thinking "I did that". But... it's not going to happen overnight.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Snow Studs on a MTB mate. Only way. Got an old rigid MTB (XT kit) that gets fitted with them in winter.
  • Think I will have to get something that can take the wide spikey tyres :)

As for the ar5*, no its not great, NSFW, remember you cannot unsee once seen, pixelated butt