which brakes to keep, avids or formulas?

mfereborn
mfereborn Posts: 480
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have a dilemma!

I have bought a bike with Formula RX's in white which although the colour is naff appear to be brilliant in reviews, problem is i also have a brand new set of black Avid Elixir CR's.

I really dont have a clue which brake is the better but i d prefer the black of the avids!

Which would you guys advise keeping on a do it all lapierre?
The Frog: Lapierre Zesty 214 2010 - Upgraded - W.I.P

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Formula, every time.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • can i ask why over the avids? i need opinions and even better - facts?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try the Avids, see what you prefer!
  • one problem with that matey is the avids are brand new and so if i use them they lose their value - i could make a fair bit more selling them new im afraid (silly i know but as a student i need every penny!)
  • supersonic
    I haven't tried either, but my colleagues have - I think are reviewed on here?

Elixir 5 uses a lot of the same tech, and work very well, smooth progressive lever feel.
  • ilovedirt
    I haven't used the elixir for a while, or extensively, however I had juicy 5's and 3's for a long time and now have some formula megas. The formulas seem to be of much higher quality in the way they're made and offer great power and modulation, much more so than my avids ever did.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    Juicy's are fecking crap though haha! Elixirs are a world away.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    sell both, get some new XT m785's and prepare to be blown away! another test ride today the re-affirmed my views on them, the pads weren't even bedded in and the power was insane, the slx's i also tried were very good, when i worked in the lbs we had numerous sets of elixers sent back to us, air in the system is a big problem on the cr's its been solved on the newer 7's and 9's with the air trap, but older brakes take a farking bleed, which imo is bordering on impossible. im sure some people have had no issues, but ive seen more faulty pairs than good ones.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Formula.

Nowt wrong with juices though. Not a fan of the elixirs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i got elixir crs on my one of my bikes and formula megas on another..

formulas are way better than avids i never really rated avids it's always been my intention to change the avids on my demo for formula but i never did get round to it...

formula have more feel and modulate better,, i find the avids very grabby.. they just lack the feel of the formulas..
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The formulas are better IMO- much better feel, without a loss of power- but also the Avids are probably worth more since, for whatever reason, people tend to forget Formula exist.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ilovedirt
    Northwind wrote:
    The formulas are better IMO- much better feel, without a loss of power- but also the Avids are probably worth more since, for whatever reason, people tend to forget Formula exist.
    Works out well for those of us that like good brakes!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Excellent cheers guys - it pretty much seems to be across the board for the formulas!

Can i ask, are the RX's decent then? They sound it but i have no idea compared to other formula brakes as i may be in a position to sell both pairs of brakes to buy an even better set.
  • lawman
    mfereborn wrote:
    Excellent cheers guys - it pretty much seems to be across the board for the formulas!

Can i ask, are the RX's decent then? They sound it but i have no idea compared to other formula brakes as i may be in a position to sell both pairs of brakes to buy an even better set.

the rx's are a great brake imo, from the albeit limited time ive had demo's on them, they are definitely along wih the other newer formula brakes among the ones i would recommend, lovely lever shape, good modulation and power and quite light too. as i say my and friends experiences of avid have been very mixed, we all now run hope, formula or shimano and any problems have disappeared. if its possible, head down to your lbs and see if they have a bike fitted with the new xt or slx brakes, give them a try, they really are top brakes and at the silly prices rosebikes have them atm, you'll have a bit of cash left over as well!!

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:515731

all in with adapters, front and rear brakes, 180/160mm icetech rotors and mounts and its less than £200, way cheaper than anywhere in the uk and unlike the merlin kits, these actually come with 6 bolt rotors most people can use!
  • That looks like a brilliant deal i admit and they do have the best review out of all the contenders ive looked at so far - in fact i prefer the sound of them to the XTR's and at that price...

Temptation is a dangerous thing...
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Temptation certainly is a dangerous thing. My wifes gonna kill me when she finds out I ordered some which have just arrived from Rose as I was typing this. Just worth mentioning that the levers are the wrong way round and I'm going to have to swap the hoses over. I'm hoping I can manage this without having to re-bleed as that will push the overall price up.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm in a very similar position. About to order the Canyon Nerve AM 7 which will come with Avid Elixir 3's but my current bike has Formula Oro K18's - would the advice still be to go with the Formulas in this case ??

Cheers
    Jim
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • nicklouse
    mfereborn wrote:
    That looks like a brilliant deal i admit and they do have the best review out of all the contenders ive looked at so far - in fact i prefer the sound of them to the XTR's and at that price...

so spend even more money on more brakes?

Mad.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    JimboM wrote:
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm in a very similar position. About to order the Canyon Nerve AM 7 which will come with Avid Elixir 3's but my current bike has Formula Oro K18's - would the advice still be to go with the Formulas in this case ??

Cheers
    Jim
    if in good condition I would.
  • lawman
    nicklouse wrote:
    mfereborn wrote:
    That looks like a brilliant deal i admit and they do have the best review out of all the contenders ive looked at so far - in fact i prefer the sound of them to the XTR's and at that price...

so spend even more money on more brakes?

Mad.

sell t'others, no cost involved in the end and you get better brakes...
  • Thats my thoguht, sell all the brakes i have and have a lot of money left over after buying some nice black XT's.

They bleed easily too if im right.
  • lawman
    mfereborn wrote:
    Thats my thoguht, sell all the brakes i have and have a lot of money left over after buying some nice black XT's.

They bleed easily too if im right.

yep, they dead easy to bleed according to all the reviews and the guys in the lbs, admittedly with the ones from rose you'll have to swap the hoses over, but as you'll probably shorten the hoses anyway, i see no problem with that.
  • Yeah im competant with mechanics so assuming i have a syringe and some plastic tubing i can bleed them. im very tempted to buy them right now but not knowing what mounts i need i have to hold off until the new bike arrives tomorrow/monday!