Seatpost stuck.... help!

trail jacker
trail jacker Posts: 844
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Just been on a big ride in the crappy British winter gloop and my seatpost has got totally jammed, at a height that is not really ideal for steep descents or road riding.

I run a carbon 456 with a shim to make the seat-tube 27.2mm compatible, and it seems to have stuck tight to the post.
Should I spray GT85 on it repeatedly and try to twist it to get the lube down the length of the tube?
Any other suggestions? Maybe LBS time?

Ta, Jack.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Alloy post and/or shim (or carbon shim)?

Alloy + carbon + water = galvanic reaction much like in a battery and post can be glued to the frame. Might be what's happened.

Which is why you're recommended to use carbon friction paste on the post or similar, in addition to making it easier to clamp the thing.

Google around or someone with experience in it may have good advice, but I'd be careful as there are many ways here of wrecking the carbon.
  • Sh*t, yeah its an alloy shim. I will try to get it out and get some carbon friction paste asap!
  • would GT85 be a bad shout for penetrating and lowering friction? Just to get it out obviously.
  • Sorry for the multiple posts, but just managed to get the post out with the help of 2 housemates!!
    I'm guessing the shim is going to be fairly well stuck since it has been in the seat-tube for over 6 months. So I will buy some Carbon friction paste (this looks like the best price... http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... ield_Paste) asap and whack it on the seat tube from now on.
    Cheers for the advice deadkenny.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yeah, that's the stuff I've got. Shim should be fine stuck in there so long as you don't want to remove it.

Also, without the paste, just more frequently adjusting or removing the seat post will help avoid it seizing.

With the paste you should need less force to clamp the seat without it slipping. Useful stuff, even seen it recommended by manufacturers for alloy to alloy components.
  • Yeah, well I guess that is what it will be doing on my bike since its going to be alloy post on alloy shim.
    Still cant figure out what caused the seatpost to get progressively stiffer throughout the ride though, maybe it was just the ingress of mud and grit etc. Roll on summer eh?!

Cheers again for the replies.