10speed 28tooth 64pcd truvativ chainring

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm after one of these to fit to my s2200 chainset. Any ideas where I could get one, or a suitable other brand?

Googled quite a bit but not finding anything...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there is very little out there for the Sram BCD rings. Call up Middle burn and see whan they may be doing some. But IIRC you are stuck with what sizes Sram have.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That's standard BCD though - not the SRAM 80/120. HomeBrew Components and Carbon-Ti do rings for those as an aside.

I'd use TA Chinook rings - not technically 10 speed, but will work fine.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    D'Oh shimano do some that size ;) any 9sp will work.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DodgeT
    cheers peeps :)
  • DodgeT
    LBS mentioned a lot of them use 33tooth ovals as a single ring. I thought 32tooth was going to lose me too many (approx 3) lower gears, but he reckons its a good ring as a single.

Anybody comment on these? Do the oval rings actually help? I thought these were confined to lycra wearers :lol:
  • njee20
    You mean Q-rings? A lot of people swear by them, some find them a bit odd. Need to try one really. Can cause tension problems because the chain length changes constantly - a guide will either be too high or too low 50% of the time!

Single ring is personal really, presumably you've got 28/42 currently? If you went 32 you'd loose several off your top end and one and a bit off your bottom end. I went from 28/42 with 11-36 to a 36t single ring and find it great, but I found I used the 42t 95% of the time, but always up the top of the block ie crossed over. A 36 gives me a nice usable spread. YMMV.
  • DodgeT
    Er, not sure, think he said oval, reckons helps with better cadence?

Currently got 24 / 36 and rarely wander into the big ring (if you can call 36 big :) ) with an 11 - 36 10spd rear.
    Originally wanted 28 tooth as OP, which would lose 1 low and 2 high gears which wouldn't bother me.
    Going to 32 tooth means the opposite, lose 2 low and 1 high. Suppose it'll build my fitness / kill me.

Then i've read that going single on the outer ring ie 32 would give a better chainline and it means I can get a chain guide off the shelf.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    njee20 wrote:
    I went from 28/42 with 11-36 to a 36t single ring and find it great.

Sry to hijack DodgeT, but njee20 what are you running at the back? cuz, i rarely use the granny and im always pushing the 36t.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • njee20
    Sry to hijack DodgeT, but njee20 what are you running at the back?

Still running the 11-36 I was before. No point in going to 10 speed with anything else IMO - you may as well stick with 9. If I was going to change ring I'd sooner go to a 38, but it's nice to have a relatively manageable gear for the hillier race courses.
    Originally wanted 28 tooth as OP, which would lose 1 low and 2 high gears which wouldn't bother me.
    Going to 32 tooth means the opposite, lose 2 low and 1 high. Suppose it'll build my fitness / kill me.

Then i've read that going single on the outer ring ie 32 would give a better chainline and it means I can get a chain guide off the shelf.

So you were thinking of single ring with a 28t? I'd suggest just waiting until you're a bit stronger, that leaves a pretty small top gear, I'd just stick with what you have unless you can do a 32.
  • DodgeT
    edited February 2012
    ratios.jpg

Figures from sheldons.
    Seeing as most of my riding is hilly, technical, messing about stuff - not flat out fast etc. thats why I was originally thinking of the 28.
    I do want to get my fitness up, so the 32 could be worth a go. As mentioned, it'll also give me easier options for guides.
    If I then do an epic fail, I can always just convert back.
  • njee20
    Why are you trying to go 1x10, what are you aiming to achieve? Sounds like you're going to be limiting your functionality a fair bit.
  • DodgeT
    Because, if I'm being honest, I like to try things out and seeing as I very rarely swap between the 2 rings at the front, I thought it'd be an opportunity to give single ring a go.

Whatever happened, it wouldn't be the end of the world / bother me if I had to change it back, I like messing :)