gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
keep it to one each, anything you like:

People that ride bicycles on pavements - total f*cknuts

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1 I rarely use pavements when they are dual use anyway as they are usually only fit for plodders.
    and RLJ
    and pass stationary cars at ped crossings

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    Smelly buses..

Soon I shall be riding the light fantastic on me new Cannondale.
  • Madonna
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Michael Gove
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Wilful and knowing stupidity

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    welkman wrote:
    Michael Gove
    Ooo

Andrew 'La La' Lansley.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    People who say they really hate things that are actually just trivial annoyances
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Hate? Phone calls from people that start 'Are you sitting down...?' or 'Can you talk...?'. Put the heebie-jeebies up me they do, and they seem to be more frequent these days.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    bails87 wrote:
    Andrew 'La La' Lansley.

Do you get Roy Lilley's blogs, then?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    CiB wrote:
    Hate? Phone calls from people that start 'Are you sitting down...?' or 'Can you talk...?'. Put the heebie-jeebies up me they do, and they seem to be more frequent these days.

A good headhunter should ask if you can listen, not if you can talk :P.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    CiB wrote:

Good point. I do that. If the person answering the phone wasn't in a position to talk, they shouldn't answer the phone.

I shall now stop doing that.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    ... the way the term 'hate' has entered the vernacular.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    A good headhunter
    Hmm?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Reality TV
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • CiB
    davis wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Good point. I do that. If the person answering the phone wasn't in a position to talk, they shouldn't answer the phone.

So the phone rings - it's your mother. You think 'ah - Old Mother CiB ringing ...' and answer it, to be met not with the usual cheery chippy old dear asking if I'm okay and will we be up this weekend, but the pause and the 'are you sitting down. I've got some news...'.

If it's headhunting / job hunting going, I just put the phone down mid-sentence if I have to and assume [rightly usually] that person at other end knows what the score is.
  • rick_chasey
    CiB wrote:
    davis wrote:
    CiB wrote:

So the phone rings - it's your mother. You think 'ah - Old Mother CiB ringing ...' and answer it, to be met not with the usual cheery chippy old dear asking if I'm okay and will we be up this weekend, but the pause and the 'are you sitting down. I've got some news...'.

If it's headhunting / job hunting going, I just put the phone down mid-sentence if I have to and assume [rightly usually] that person at other end knows what the score is.

It's worth being polite when you say no.

No-one minds if you don't want to move. If they hassle you when you've already made it clear, then they're bad at their job and desperate.
  • CiB

No-one minds if you don't want to move. If they hassle you when you've already made it clear, then they're bad at their job and desperate.
    Other way round - I'm on the phone busy sorting out a potential move and suddenly Big Chief Honcho looms into view making a bee-line for me. I'm not going to put him off for a minute whilst we discuss the finer points - "...a car. Yes a car, and a chauffeur + reasonable expenses. And Thursdays off too. Thanks. I'll confirm next week. <phone down>. Now then boss - what can I do for you?..."
  • rick_chasey
    CiB wrote:

Other way round - I'm on the phone busy sorting out a potential move and suddenly Big Chief Honcho looms into view making a bee-line for me. I'm not going to put him off for a minute whilst we discuss the finer points - "...a car. Yes a car, and a chauffeur + reasonable expenses. And Thursdays off too. Thanks. I'll confirm next week. <phone down>. Now then boss - what can I do for you?..."

Either you say "no thanks, I'm very happy" or you can say "now is a difficult time".

I don't expect to discuss anything with anyone at work. If they decide they can spare 10 then great, but I expect to talk when THEY are free (so usually in the evening).

I don't even bother trying to discuss anything when they're at work just "here's the deal. If you're interested, I'll call you on this number. What time suits?"
  • CiB
    That makes you better at your job than I am at sorting out new positions during work time then. And the twice it did happen Old Mrs Boss arrived from round a blind corner. Anyway.

Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike Manure nited and their gloating glory-hunting fans? No. Good.
  • The 'Red Top' press. They have done more harm to the general tone of life in this country than any government.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    the suspense........
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Courgettes & The smell of popcorn.

Aiming high in my hatreds here

Bike wise RLJs & their apologists, especially the ones that do it (always for their own safety) but want zero tolerance and strict liability for any other form of transport. Also the sort of deluded campaigners that can't accept it won't magically become like Copenhagen by a week on Wednesday and berate / belittle anyone that tries to live in the real (cycling) world we have now. Or maybe I just follow the wrong people on twitter :-)
  • Courgettes & The smell of popcorn.

Aiming high in my hatreds here

Bike wise RLJs & their apologists, especially the ones that do it (always for their own safety) but want zero tolerance and strict liability for any other form of transport. Also the sort of deluded campaigners that can't accept it won't magically become like Copenhagen by a week on Wednesday and berate / belittle anyone that tries to live in the real (cycling) world we have now. Or maybe I just follow the wrong people on twitter :-)
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    people double posting :P
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    flat tonic water :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    The smell from any Subway take-a-way outlet
    Stupid people at work who don't do their job properly which in turn makes my job difficult
    Motorist using their mobile whilst ....erm... motoring
    Pedestrians who wait to cross the road 12 feet or so from a zebra crossing
    Reality shows..........hang on, make that all tv programmes.
    Petty people
    Instant coffee
    Drivers who pull out in front and then drive off at about 20mph
    Sales that start after my money is gone
    Dogs

I could go on & on & on & on. Isn't life great!

"stuff that in your Volvo glove compartment"
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • One Born Every Minute.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • Radio 1,
    The word "hun" on facebook,
    My financial/overdraft crisis.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    medoramas wrote:
    Radio 1,
    The words on facebook,
    My financial/overdraft crisis.

FTFY ;)
  • Nazis & bake potatoes :evil: