Base layer recommendations (upper body)

king_jeffers
king_jeffers Posts: 694
edited February 2012 in Commuting general
In need of some new base layers, only I'm not as flush as I first was when I first started cycling, can anyone recommend a good, affordable base layer? The best I've found in the past has been the merino wool type but I don't really want to pay £35 for one layer, seems a bit steep. Any alternatives? Or should I simply stump up?

Comments

• I use the Polaris BL Tee shirts. They wash really well and I'm into winter three with them so you get your moneys worth. I've got the long sleeve one as well but it has a zip neck
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • In need of some new base layers, only I'm not as flush as I first was when I first started cycling, can anyone recommend a good, affordable base layer? The best I've found in the past has been the merino wool type but I don't really want to pay £35 for one layer, seems a bit steep. Any alternatives? Or should I simply stump up?

i went for the long sleeved ones from Tenn Outdoors - £13.99 Get good reviews here and seem excellent VFM
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • yakk
    yakk Posts: 589
    Ditto Planet X merino. They last longer without a wash, ie don't pong after 1 rides' use like some do. Warm. Wick well.
    Yak
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    I bought a long sleeve icebreaker merino wool top and wore it constantly for a 2 week motorcycle ride in europe, had a sweat on most days! and it did not smell at all whereas the cheaper man made stuff brings tears to my eyes after a couple of days commuting, helly Hansen etc.

A good investment imo if you can stretch that far
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    BigLee1 wrote:
    I bought a long sleeve icebreaker merino wool top and wore it constantly for a 2 week motorcycle ride in europe, had a sweat on most days! and it did not smell at all whereas the cheaper man made stuff brings tears to my eyes after a couple of days commuting, helly Hansen etc.

A good investment imo if you can stretch that far

+1

I bought a Icebreaker for £20 from Field & Trek last year and its great, I wore it for a few cold days in Edinburgh under a fleece and it was perfect. Looking at picking up another at the right price, far better than the cheap HH.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    IF you have a tk maxx near you they are all in their clerance section at the moment, can grab a bargain if they have your size!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Planet-x merino baselayers are good value, but watch the sizing as they're tight fitting. They do a great job of accentuating my little pot belly.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Chris Bass wrote:
    IF you have a tk maxx near you they are all in their clerance section at the moment, can grab a bargain if they have your size!
    I picked up a Trek Mates bamboo base layer, works well, probably need it tomorrow.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I don't really want to pay £35 for one layer, seems a bit steep.
    It isn't steep. Really, it isn't.

Love wearing my long sleeve BaaBaa merino :)
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Simon E wrote:
    It isn't steep. Really, it isn't.

Its all relative really especially when your facing restructure :?

Planet x ones seem like a winner. Will pick a couple up when next back in stock :-)
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Planet x ones seem like a winner. Will pick a couple up when next back in stock :-)
    That'll probably be just in time for a late spring heatwave :wink:
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Chris Bass wrote:

yep, likely to get merino for around £20.....
  • I use both and the merino top will last a couple of rides before requiring a wash , the smelly handsomes are good but there and back = washing machine.

If you can get them somewhere at a reasonable price the merino would be my choie every time.

As the helly tops come to te end of there lives they will be replaced with merino , hopefully an end of winter sale will arrive across the major stores !!! ( if you can wait )
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • Under Armour base layers are great but normally £30 but you can pick them up for £20 ish if you shop around. Kipstra base slayers, Decathlon's own brand, seems to be similar material to UA. You'll find those in the rugby section (?!) at decathlon and last time i bought some they were £16
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    I use a Endura Baa Baa l/s baselayer together with an old Gore soft-shell and that is generally all I wear on top. Today I added in an old t-shirt but that was more a comfort blanket than an attempt at keeping extra heat in. I still end up sweating a lot but tbh can get a week's worth of commuting in without it being at all smelly. Perhaps I'm lucky in the pong department but I also shower twice a day so overall not a smelly human. So in my mind, go for it & get the proper piece of kit, add a t-shirt or 2 if its really cold but you won't need them often.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Spend more on some merino, 4 days in mine now, thats 160 miles/10hours and still fresh for another day tomorrow..
  • Crimmey
    Crimmey Posts: 207
    I use an acrylic cheapo jumper under a Peacocks water resistant after trying all sorts of cycling specific stuff. The jumper doesn't hold alot of water and what it does hold it keeps warm, my merino is never used. -8 commuting tonight/this morning no problemo.
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    Blacks have merino Base Layer £20 half price, picked up one last night. They are their own brand Technical