Beginner needing help :)

King Large
King Large Posts: 8
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at buying a bike for fitness purposes and to have a good time on it. I have been looking at road bikes and communting fitness bikes for this purpose. I just need some help for things i should look out for. I have done some researched on a few things, like triple butt frames and forks. But i do have a feeling there is alot of more things that i need to look into to find the right bike for me. I have seen a bike that looks interesting to me that is made by Vitus (Mach 3 City Bike 2012) but there isnt much information regarding this company. Does anyone know if this would be a good bike and manufacture for my first bike or should i stick with the bigger names?

Any information would be helpful

Thank you

Comments

• Dear King - I reckon the best advice is find somewhere that will let you have a decent (not just a turn round a car park!) test ride. I read loads and loads on bikes but got a full week to test ride my Spesh before I bought it and - I am sure as a direct result - I am delighted with it. Yes I could have bought it cheaper on-line but the extra £100 or so I paid has been more than worth it to me in terms of getting that extended test period and the after sales service.
  • +1 what wishitwasflat says

The one you've picked doesn't seem to have a mid cog on the chainset (but I could be looking at it wrong) which means you've got no mid points between very easy to very hard, but if you're quite fit and strong already this may not be an issue. It's also nice and light which is a good thing.

Also, I don't think it matters about the manufacture of the bike provided you have good customer support from the retailer - if anything goes wrong with the bike it's usually the retailer that you'd speak to first anyway. I suppose if you're buying on line it may be different - I'm sure others have better experience than I do, I've yet to buy a bike online.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • Thank you wishitwasallflat, i am going to go on the weekend to decide if i prefer flat bars or drop down bar bikes.

Muffintop can a mid cog on the chain set be changed easy? and cheap? i do go to the gym 3 times a week and i am 24 so i would class my self as physically in shape. Ok going to see if i can find some bad/good things about the manufacture so i know what i am letting my self in for. The online buying bit is a tad annoying but the website i am looking at says it can returned so its not the end of the world just a pain if i need to send it back.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    If you're buying from a proper bike shop you should be covered re. brands. They should explain the differences between models and between flat v drop bars but the choice should be yours. Visit more than one shop to get a feel for what's out there. Minor specification differences aren't important (no. gears, whether there are 2 or 3 rings on the chainset), it's whether it fits you and feels good to ride that are important.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • King Large wrote:
    Thank you wishitwasallflat, i am going to go on the weekend to decide if i prefer flat bars or drop down bar bikes.

Muffintop can a mid cog on the chain set be changed easy? and cheap? i do go to the gym 3 times a week and i am 24 so i would class my self as physically in shape. Ok going to see if i can find some bad/good things about the manufacture so i know what i am letting my self in for. The online buying bit is a tad annoying but the website i am looking at says it can returned so its not the end of the world just a pain if i need to send it back.

If you're not technically minded a local bike shop should give you advice on which chain set to change it to and which one would suit your needs, also they'll be able to change it for you (at a price - though perhaps not too expensive). If you are going to choose this bike though, you can have a go on the 2 cogs and see how you get on, then if you need more mid gears change it later. You may decide you can do without.
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com