Kurt Kinetic Magnetic turbo trainer – any thoughts?

yocto
yocto Posts: 86
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

I’m seriously considering purchasing the above turbo trainer. However, there seems to be very little in the way of info/ reviews on-line with regards to this model! Even going on to the KK website they do not even list this model! (is it the black sheep of the family and should be well avoided?).

Does anyone have any experience with it? KK machines generally seem to be well received but I am a little reluctant to part with cash knowing so little about this model and it seems odd that it’s no longer listed on their site.

For info, I’m keen on a mag trainer as my main bikes are two speed so I need adjustable power which a mag offers. Also keen on a KK model as they offer a ‘small wheel adaptor’ and all my bikes have between 16-20 inch wheels (I’m a small wheel bike enthusiast, so apologies for posting on the road forum, the special interest forum doesn’t get much action!).

Many thanks

Comments

• DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    I'm not 100% sure but think they no longer offer it for sale. I think they consolidated their range down to the Cyclone, the road machine and the rock and roll. I guess if it's still available in stores it might be old stock? Happy to be corrected as, like I say, not certain.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I'd go for the Road Machine or a Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    I've got one. I actually ordered a road machine but was sent the mag by the (non-UK) supplier.
    After much to-ing and fro-ing and some compensation later I kept it for what ended up a very good price.

Must admit I now prefer the fixed resistance (manually variable if needed of course) as opposed the idea of increasing resistance with speed that the road machine gives.
    I tend to leave it on one setting and move up and down the gears to make life harder or easier.

The frame and set up are identical in both trainers. Nice and sturdy with a widish base to keep things very stable in use.

The mag unit itself is very quiet (compared to my old Elite) and smooth running. It's got the same hefty flywheel as the road machine and the roll down time is pretty impressive. I'd say well over 10 seconds from 20mph. With my old trainer if you stopped pedalling the wheel stopped dead.
    With this one you can kind of coast for a bit when you change down, just as you would on the road.

Resistance wise, I have it set about a third of the way up the dial. Above that the resistance ramps up and becomes way too much for my (currently) weedy legs. So plenty of spare capacity should I ever develop any substantial leg muscles :D

Future wise I guess if they are stopping production of the mag then spares may be an issue. However, the flywheel isn't going to break before I give up, the mag unit is very well made and the fluid unit would fit perfectly into the frame should the mag unit ever give up the ghost. I think Kinetic are pretty good WRT customer service and the warranties are good also (lifetime on frame I think).

All in all I'm pretty pleased with it and have done many sessions on it this Winter. If there were anything that makes turbo sessions more enjoyable then this machine has helped.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • yocto
    yocto Posts: 86
    Big thanks for the replies. Was considering the Road machine but as I only have two gears on my bicycle the manually variable resistance would be quite useful.

Mike67, thanks for your review/ experience with this unit. I think what you’ve written is the most that’s been written on the KK mag unit that is on the WWW!! I looked everywhere and couldn’t find anything! It all sounds positive and think I will take the plunge. Evans have it at the mo for £175 (generally don’t like to use them but hey, it the cheapest). With what I saved I can get the small wheel adaptor :)

Thanks again.