Now, I havent seen War Horse but...

2»

Comments

• I liked the film and it's beautifully shot, but it's nowhere near as good as the play. Then again, I do quite like horses, if not the kind of people who tend to ride them.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I liked the film and it's beautifully shot, but it's nowhere near as good as the play. Then again, I do quite like horses, if not the kind of people who tend to ride them.

I have problem with how it is shot. It is beautiful no doubt but too much is shot in the "golden hour" which leads to a fake look if it is used too much.
    Reasoning - I am into photography so can recognise and appreciate it, but it is so obvious that my wife picked up on it early on.
    PS - Got your Equilibrium yet?

Back on topic. It is a decent film that is designed to pull on the heart strings and show the stupidity of war, albeit through a horse instead of a human. Anyone having a problem resolving a horse being in those positions really doesn't have a clue about how inhumane humans can be, or the reality of history.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:
    I liked the film and it's beautifully shot, but it's nowhere near as good as the play. Then again, I do quite like horses, if not the kind of people who tend to ride them.

I have problem with how it is shot. It is beautiful no doubt but too much is shot in the "golden hour" which leads to a fake look if it is used too much.
    Reasoning - I am into photography so can recognise and appreciate it, but it is so obvious that my wife picked up on it early on.

No, I can completely agree with that. There were plenty of touches I didn't like, but all in all I enjoyed it. Like I say, though, the play is infinitely better.
    PS - Got your Equilibrium yet?

Funny you should mention that. I actually do have it all ready to be built up now, but it's been a ridiculous wait (all Colourtech's fault). I'll update your thread with pics next week. How's the orange peril?
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    daviesee wrote:

As I said before, I thought the lighting was terrible. At the same time they were using warm soft lighting and direct white light. The white light produced really strong highlights and hotspots which were completely artificial. While I can see that they were trying to balance natural light with fill-in lighting to remove the shadows, it made the finished shots look completely artificial. A bit like a lot of the What Mountain Bike shots where they balance a strong sun with a lot of fill-in flash from 1 or more sources which produces strong but artificial looking pictures. And that's before they go to work with post-processing.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    WarHorse3.jpg

Look at this shot, for example. The Officer on the left has a highlight on his leather shoulder strap indicating a strong light from the left of shot. The horse has a highlight on its neck indicating a strong light from the right of shot (and enhanced by the strong shadow as a result of the boy's arm. The result looks more like a painting, but a painting wouldn't have all the lighting flaws.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Wasn't cocaine put back into Coca Cola in WW1? - Now that would be good cycling fuel...

Maybe, but you'd have to stop every thirty minutes to find somewhere to 'refuel' and your times would significantly inrcease as you also stopped to chew the ears off passersby and to tell people that you're "a really good cyclist and this is a pretty good bike cos, like, carbon is right where it's at right now and I prefer Campag but some people prefer Shimano and they're,like, total idiots, yeah, and like, everyone's totally into cycling at the moment, yeah, but I was, like, doing it years ago when everyone else was totally into, like, football, yeah and have you got a ten pound note I can borrow, mate?"

Etc.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    OT
    How's the orange peril?

In the shop :cry:
    See here for the story:- viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12833185
    New left lever and rear wheel (rim, spokes & rebuild).

Absolutely wonderful prior to that and will be again! :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • CHRISNOIR wrote:
    Wasn't cocaine put back into Coca Cola in WW1? - Now that would be good cycling fuel...

Maybe, but you'd have to stop every thirty minutes to find somewhere to 'refuel' and your times would significantly inrcease as you also stopped to chew the ears off passersby and to tell people that you're "a really good cyclist and this is a pretty good bike cos, like, carbon is right where it's at right now and I prefer Campag but some people prefer Shimano and they're,like, total idiots, yeah, and like, everyone's totally into cycling at the moment, yeah, but I was, like, doing it years ago when everyone else was totally into, like, football, yeah and have you got a ten pound note I can borrow, mate?"

Etc.

:lol: Cheered me up
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553

So what type of people do ride them? As far as I can tell it is anyone from gypsies to royalty. My daughter has been riding for about 8 years now and I have met loads of people who ride horses in that time. In most cases they are normal people with average jobs and often choose to go without other luxuries such as holidays or new cars to cover the costs. I have met some very nice, kind and helpful people plus some who aren't and there are a few of the stereotypical pompous snobs so pretty much exactly the same as people who ride bikes. In fact the costs of buying a horse and buying a bike are very similar with less than a grand enough to get you going, the average being around £2k to £3k and for a top level competition model a lot more. Still, there's nothing to beat a good stereotype - I'm sure no cyclist minds that motorists think we are all red light jumping, pavement riding hooligans :wink:
  • The "sort of people who ride horses" are small in stature,light-weight,people who wear silk shirts and jodpurs.

Otherwise known as jockeys.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Pross wrote:

So what type of people do ride them? As far as I can tell it is anyone from gypsies to royalty. My daughter has been riding for about 8 years now and I have met loads of people who ride horses in that time. In most cases they are normal people with average jobs and often choose to go without other luxuries such as holidays or new cars to cover the costs. I have met some very nice, kind and helpful people plus some who aren't and there are a few of the stereotypical pompous snobs so pretty much exactly the same as people who ride bikes. In fact the costs of buying a horse and buying a bike are very similar with less than a grand enough to get you going, the average being around £2k to £3k and for a top level competition model a lot more. Still, there's nothing to beat a good stereotype - I'm sure no cyclist minds that motorists think we are all red light jumping, pavement riding hooligans :wink:

An excellent point excellently made. Forgive me; I'm sure your daughter is an absolute delight.
  • War horse walks into a bar...

The bar man says:

"Why the long film?"
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • War horse walks into a bar...

The bar man says:

"Why the long film?"

:lol:
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    edited February 2012
    I read the book. It's ok. Michael Morpurgo has written it for children from the perspective of a horse thus it does feel a little contrived, awkward, superficial and simplistic in places but it is worth reading but not worth all the hype that has been generated around it. Sure animals horses, pigeons and dogs all suffered terribly in both wars but this book doesn't really dwell on the suffering side too much as it is for a young audience. I found some of the main characters rather implausible, but then again it's a book aimed at kids. The ending is a total fantasy feel good ending that only happens in kids books to make them think that everyone lives happily ever after crap. It ruins the book imho. But you'll have to find out for yourselves what this is ............ I guess if you are 12 years old the anthropomorphism that under pins this book perhaps might not be so grating. It irritated me a bit in places, especially when Topthorn, best mate of Warhorse Joey dies ................ and then the re-union of Albert with Warhorse Joey is ripe for Hollywood schmaltz crap.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Not overlooking the fact horses have been used in wars since...um..man was having them probably!
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    I love the way the "targeted" ad in the bottom RHS of my screen is for Equine Insurance:o
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Aren't you all missing a trick here?

Go with Missus to watch film...3 hours with ads. (and it wasn't that bad)
    Have meal with Missus afterwards....another couple of hours of your undivided attention.

Missus is v.v.happy that you still know where your soft side is and got to go for a meal together.

That makes five hours in the bank to be used up on a long Sunday ride...everyone's a winner :D
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits